IGNORED

Kendal hates books

Freyacat

I am a biblioholic. I read highbrow, lowbrow, and anything in between. I generally read 2-3 books per week, and that doesn't count the gazillions of picture books I read to my son or the audio book I listen to in the car (I listen to audiobooks on my work commute, but since it's only 20 minutes each way and I only work 3 days a week, it takes me a month or so to get through an audiobook). So Kendal's post today really, really made me sad:

I'm incredibly picky, or we'll call it selective about the books I read. You'll never hear of me reading a Beth Moore book. Nope. I'm not interested in fluffy make-you-feel-better-about-yourself books. I don't like those type of Christian self help books either. They're full of me-centered garbage.

If I am going to read a book it must be centered around the Gospel and the words must be backed by scripture. I want to read a book that is going to challenge me to live a holier life. I love books written by well known theologians. I love books written by men who have studied the scriptures so much they are oozing with Biblical knowledge. These are the books worth my time {and yours!}.

It's sad to me that she acts very begrudging about reading. It's great that she reads serious theology, but apparently she reads nothing else. I mean, it's one thing if she suggested she reads a ton, but exclusively theology, but that's not the vibe I get. The way this is phrased reads to me like "I rarely read and if I HAVE to, this stuff is the only thing worth my time." It's like she sees reading as a waste of time, and that's awful. How sad that she apparently sees reading as a chore to prove how she's the most Christian of all, and not as a joy.

Then I remembered that she's homeschooling, and my opinion of her attitude towards books went from sad to appalled. I am not anti-homeschooling. But I do believe that homeschooling must be done in a book-rich environment to succeed (for that matter, I think ANY education should be in a book-rich environment to succeed! Fortunately the schools near me pretty much do that, but some don't).

Hey Kendal, if you read here, you're really doing your kids a disservice by not displaying and encouraging a love of reading. Not to mention, you're missing out on a lot of fun. And somehow, I think that's something you could use more of in your life.

edited for riffle

Kendal hates everything. Including her kids. I'm not surprised she would try to deprive them of fun reading. She is going to go all Maxwell, except manage to be more evil about it.

(snip)

Then I remembered that she's homeschooling, and my opinion of her attitude towards books went from sad to appalled. I am not anti-homeschooling. But I do believe that homeschooling must be done in a book-rich environment to succeed (for that matter, I think ANY education should be in a book-rich environment to succeed! Fortunately the schools near me pretty much do that, but some don't).

Hey Kendal, if you read here, you're really doing your kids a disservice by not displaying and encouraging a love of reading. Not to mention, you're missing out on a lot of fun. And somehow, I think that's something you could use more of in your life.

Certified bibliophile here as well. It fails me, how anyone can be anti-book in an educational environment, and curtail their children's minds so. Obviously the latter is what she wants, but it makes me sad. As a kid, I had free access to any book in the house, a public library and my parents bribed me with the promise of a new book, if I trotted along quietly on extended shopping expeditions. I used to get books by weight, not by interest, because a big book meant more reading material, and even if I only understood half of what I was reading, I read the bloody thing. Being allowed to read taught me so much, and reading such a variety of materials even more.

So...uhm, yeah, I can see why Kendull hates books. Books open whole new worlds, and even if you disagree, they've made you think already. As soon as you start engaging with ideas, even if it is just to pan them, you've opened the door to some dangerous critical thinking, and goodness knows where that might lead. She probably sees books, which don't contain the "right" sort of message as dangerous. Meanwhile, books in the real world can teach you something, like formulating why you like something, disagree with something, or how to repair your own car.

You cant teach while being anti book.

Books are the best way to become better at reading and writing, nomatter what you read. If you limit books allowed to ones about the Bible and Christianity, its making reading boring and a chore, not fun, and youre missing out on a whole world of great books to read. Kids should be taught that reading is fun, even if a book isnt educational, it still is because the whole act of reading teaches you so much.

If you ban your kids from reading anything, you get the crappy standard of writing we see in Sarah Maxwell's books and all the poorly written 20 year old SAHD blogs which look like theyve been written by 10 year olds.

Books are the best way to become better at reading and writing, nomatter what you read. If you limit books allowed to ones about the Bible and Christianity, its making reading boring and a chore, not fun, and youre missing out on a whole world of great books to read. Kids should be taught that reading is fun, even if a book isnt educational, it still is because the whole act of reading teaches you so much.

If you ban your kids from reading anything, you get the crappy standard of writing we see in Sarah Maxwell's books and all the poorly written 20 year old SAHD blogs which look like theyve been written by 10 year olds.

But at least they will never have their beliefs challenged or have to think deeply so it will be worth it all. :roll: :( I feel sorry for all these kids. I read anything and everything.

I read everything too, as a kid I would even read the ingredients list on the shampoo and stuff when I was in the bath...

Loving reading is an important part of education, and parents and teachers should encourage children to love reading.

I can't understand why books are bad to these people. Especially those who homeschool. I've always been a reader. I read everything. Still do. Kendal is a dolt who is doing her kids a disservice.

I'm pretty sure anyone paging through Kendal's blog would become quickly aware that reading is not really her thing.

XHP3I.jpg

(credit MonkeyMomma)

I'm pretty sure anyone paging through Kendal's blog would become quickly aware that reading is not really her thing.

XHP3I.jpg

(credit MonkeyMomma)

:lol: I always get a giggle about the misuse of "roll".

This.

I mean, the FIRST thing you see when you walk into my house is a bookcase. I have approximately 11 of them, counting the one in my six-year-old daughter's room that is stuffed full of everything from The Monster at the End of This Book to How Animal Babies Stay Safe.

I read everything. I go nowhere without a book or the Kindle, or more likely both. Just in case.

Whenever I visit someone's house, I usually go straight to the bookshelf. (This was especially true when I was younger and my parents would tote me places.) I read pretty much everything. I also discovered that you can learn a lot about someone based on what books they have. Last year I learned a lot about my room mate before I even met her just by looking at her books.

I can't understand why books are bad to these people. Especially those who homeschool. I've always been a reader. I read everything. Still do. Kendal is a dolt who is doing her kids a disservice.

Because books may contain ideas that are not 100% compatible with what they're trying to teach. Their faith is so fragile that nothing that isn't in complete compliance with their view of things is dangerous and will cause their children to go astray. Only the most heavily vetted books could ever pass muster.

I have tried reading 3 Beth Moore books in my life and I couldn't get through them. Why? Because there was so much Scripture. Not that I have something against the Bible, but if I want to read it, I do... Her books are chock full of Scripture, Scripture quoted in the paragraphs, printed in the sidebars, and the random stopping of her commentary to the tune of "Now go read this and this passage!" It was, frankly, hard for me to read B.M.'s books because I felt like I kept losing track of what she was saying by all the Scripture I had to read to backup her opinions. And I guess I concluded that I'd rather just read the Scripture myself, just because of the format and style of her writing (not that there's anything wrong with quoting Scripture in a book, as long as the proper copyrights are acknowledged, it just that excessive quotes aren't my particular style of reading) I wonder if someone who thinks that Beth Moore's writings aren't focused on the gospel (every 3 words!) and supported by Scripture (see the rest of my post) has truly ever read a Beth Moore book, or if the criticism stems more from things like Ms. Moore's speaking at mega-conferences to thousands of women (who attend by themselves without their hubbies!), wearing pants/makeup/jewelry, having contemporary music at her events, basically having a big well known life and not living under a rock. But who knows what the real objection is, I just wonder.

Fundies in general seem to hate books, I've noticed. The exception seems to be the upper echelon of the VF crowd-- Phillips, Botkin, etc. And if you notice their reading habits, it's only carefully chosen authors who bolster their already carefully selected prejudices, so either authors who are "in the fold" so to speak, or carefully selected dead white authors. Their libraries are carefully crafted to only permit one poi t of view and admit only those who toe the party line.

Okay, I'm a bit picky about what I read as well, but at least I have the excuse of wanting to read things that are well-written. Kendal has no such justification. She hates books. Most fundies do. This is the kind of attitude that leads fundies of all stripes to try to have books banned for everyone. And Kendal is, effectively, banning her children from reading almost anything at all if that's how she feels about books. "I don't like it, therefore my kids shouldn't like it either." It would be bad enough if her kids were in public school and at least able to go to a library every once in a while, but she homeschools. What the hell do her kids read?

I'm also one who loves to read, and sometimes I'll read several books at once. It's just the way I was raised, where my parents let us read whatever we wanted, and that included books that some people would love to ban completely. My love of reading really annoyed my ex-husband who thought I was too intellectual because there were times when if I didn't feel like watching TV, I would read instead. He also complained that my parents had several full bookshelves, as he was one of those whose faith is so insecure that he was afraid to read anything that might get his brain to actually work. He wasn't fundie, but he was like them in that he hated books that weren't written by Ayn Rand. Now, one thing I do love about my fiancee is that he shares my love of books, so when we get married, we'll have to get more bookshelves to hold the books I'll bring with me.

I think fundies have one thing in common with my ex, and that is their fear of anything that might cause them to use their brain, or convince their children that there are other points of view out there.

I totally agree! I used to run a book store and it would always infuriate me when I would hear parents tell their child, who had maybe picked out a Goosebumps book, Captain Underpants or other popular title, "No, go pick out something good to read, or read this instead." I always wanted to grab them and tell them, Don't you know that you are stifling their urge to read!? If they want to read a comic book let them read a comic book! They're reading! In this day and age you should be happy they want to read, you want to nurture that and foster a love of reading, not squash it by telling them they have to read something they have no interest in.

While I agree that there is a lot of garbage out there for kids, the main goal should be to get them to want to and to love reading.THEN you can direct them to better books, high minded literature, religious dissertations etc.

bolding mine

Not really surprised here. Fundies fear books, especially those that don't support their worldview. I love books. I was a shy kid and books were an escape for me. I could read all day and my interests jumped from this to that. It saddens me when people try to limit their reading material because they miss the whole point of books, which is to expand your mind and expose you to other ideas. The fact that Kendal homeschools only makes her decision tragic. Her children will never know the joys of reading great literature. Their reading material will be akin to the propaganda seen in Communist nations. It will be a source of reinforcement of accepted ideas and not an exchange of new concepts. The Maxwells are just as strict about their reading material, and we've all seen the results of their "education". :? I wouldn't be surprised if many fundie kids end up half-literate and barely able to string together an original idea.

Because books may contain ideas that are not 100% compatible with what they're trying to teach. Their faith is so fragile that nothing that isn't in complete compliance with their view of things is dangerous and will cause their children to go astray. Only the most heavily vetted books could ever pass muster.

This is just stupid. If this is your faith, this is your faith. Any book can be read...."through the eyes of scripture" which can actually strengthen faith. Use your precious faith as a measuring stick, think, and come away with lessons learned from the books. If scripture is applicable to every other fucking area of your life, then certainly it can be applicable to Literature. Or am I just being obtuse?

I totally agree! I used to run a book store and it would always infuriate me when I would hear parents tell their child, who had maybe picked out a Goosebumps book, Captain Underpants or other popular title, "No, go pick out something good to read, or read this instead." I always wanted to grab them and tell them, Don't you know that you are stifling their urge to read!? If they want to read a comic book let them read a comic book! They're reading! In this day and age you should be happy they want to read, you want to nurture that and foster a love of reading, not squash it by telling them they have to read something they have no interest in.

While I agree that there is a lot of garbage out there for kids, the main goal should be to get them to want to and to love reading.THEN you

can direct them to better books, high minded literature, religious dissertations etc.

bolding mine

ITA. I've got a 9 yr old who hates reading. He read late, and currently has no interest in reading much at all, which is mystifying to me since his dad and I are huge readers. I'm happy if he reads a comic book, let alone great literature! I just keep letting him pick books at the bookstore, and hope they get read at some time.

This is just stupid. If this is your faith, this is your faith. Any book can be read...."through the eyes of scripture" which can actually strengthen faith. Use your precious faith as a measuring stick, think, and come away with lessons learned from the books. If scripture is applicable to every other fucking area of your life, then certainly it can be applicable to Literature. Or am I just being obtuse?

*clutches pearls* But actually looking into new ideas, you might find your faith challenged, and then you'd have to see that not everything adds up! That's way too dangerous, so it must be Satan tempting you, so stay away from temptation, and nothing bad will happen, m'kay? And...and think about the children, and what it could do to their impressionable minds! Children for Satan? Is that what you want!!!eleventy!!

They always remind me of my very short-lived teenage pro-life/anti-choice phase. I refused to discuss my stance, refused to read anything, just kept on harping on about how people were killing teh baybeez. Thankfully, it lasted a few months, before the cognitive dissonance got the better of me. But for that time, I purposefully put blinders onto myself, because deep down inside, I wasn't all that sure that I was right. I think a lot of fundies do the same. Either that, or they're just really ignorant. But I agree with you, if you're sure about your convictions, you don't need to shield them to preserve them. In my line of work, I am faced with an awful lot of racist, misogynist and homophobic materials. In my line of work, I'm also used to having my views challenged daily, so I need to know what those that don't share them are saying, to formulate my own and stick with them. Fundies just cry persecution as soon as their views are challenged, and unlike the rest of us, refuse to ever allow anyone to make them think deeply, and have their convictions challenged. Because even challenge is persecution. :roll:

I read a book from the Warriors series aloud to my second graders last year. It wasn't great literature, but it was the one story that everyone in the class seemed to latch on too. Suddenly I had kids asking about sequels and libraries and remembering all of the characters! Some of them even drew comparisons to other subjects without my prompting! I loved it!

My husband is currently pretty much home bound with his accident injuries. We have video games and Internet, but he tells me his favorite activity is one I started while he was in the hospital. His arms were full of IVs, so he couldn't really hold up a book, but I bought a copy of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and started reading aloud to him, a chapter at a time.

No fundie would allow that book though....it's about "little g" gods and the author's name sounds like Gay Man. The horror!

My husband is currently pretty much home bound with his accident injuries. We have video games and Internet, but he tells me his favorite activity is one I started while he was in the hospital. His arms were full of IVs, so he couldn't really hold up a book, but I bought a copy of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and started reading aloud to him, a chapter at a time.

No fundie would allow that book though....it's about "little g" gods and the author's name sounds like Gay Man. The horror!

markreads.com did a chapter-by-chapter review of that book, it was pretty cool.

I don't really follow Kendal because I don't have time for the aggravation, but I will say that I have known plenty of similar people who talk proudly about their "highbrow" reading and how they never read "junk" stuff, because they only want to take in quality thoughts. Every single one of those people has at some point revealed themselves to be bat-sh** crazy. I would much rather hang out with people who can't stand reading and can't understand why anyone would like it than people who pretend they are above the need for goofy/light/frivolous reading material.

Archived