IGNORED

Warren Jeffs end of the world prediction

This is ridiculous. Why don't those people run? If someone tried to take my children away from me or demanded that I not show them affection, I'd tell them to shove it up their ass and I'd take my family and leave. At least some of those people have to realize the situation has gotten out of hand. They're not worshiping god anymore, they're worshiping Warren Jeffs.

This is ridiculous. Why don't those people run? If someone tried to take my children away from me or demanded that I not show them affection, I'd tell them to shove it up their ass and I'd take my family and leave. At least some of those people have to realize the situation has gotten out of hand. They're not worshiping god anymore, they're worshiping Warren Jeffs.

They are raised to fear the outside world. They are also brainwashed in other ways that make it hard to leave.

There are ways to live an isolated life without belonging to a cult. I lived in an isolated mountain community. The people were warm and tolerant. It wasn't so isolated that you could not get cell phone service or a satellite dish, but for all intents and purposes, you had to drive down the mountain if you wanted shopping, fine restaurants, etc. We had a 6 bed hospital, which I worked at. I was never happier than when I lived up there. You can ignore the outside world without selling your soul to a huckster like Jeffs.

Freedom of speech is important but it has limits. You can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, and I'm thinking you can't tell people to commit mass suicide (when there's reasonable evidence that the order would be followed) either. I'm thinking maybe Jeffs HAS tried to tell people to commit suicide but the communication was blocked.

I agree the situation is only escalating. It's either going to end in a mass suicide or mass exodus.

I had never heard of the compound in the Black Hills of SD. I used to have close family in that area...though they moved out around the time the FLDS moved in. Checking them out on Google Maps (coordinates 43.541225 -103.743667) it looks like they are doing a lot of construction. The map is a 2012 version.

They are raised to fear the outside world. They are also brainwashed in other ways that make it hard to leave.

This. In addition to the brainwashing that the outside world is evil, cult members don't get a good education, and they're pulled out of school when they're still pretty young to either work or to be married off to someone old enough to be their father. A recent 20/20 episode about a family who was kicked out of the cult showed how poor the education is, as the teenage son was functionally illiterate.

This. In addition to the brainwashing that the outside world is evil, cult members don't get a good education, and they're pulled out of school when they're still pretty young to either work or to be married off to someone old enough to be their father. A recent 20/20 episode about a family who was kicked out of the cult showed how poor the education is, as the teenage son was functionally illiterate.

Plus what was taught in "school" wasn't always factual. I saw the same 20/20 episode, with a completely straight face one of the former FLDS girls explained how she was taught that Warren Jeffs is President of the United States.

If you have no job or don't get to keep the money you earn, plus you've got a small horde of children to raise, you've been taught that the outside world hates you, barely a high school education and you have no references (since everything in town is run by the church that you're defecting from), moving and starting over somewhere else isn't really an option. I hope the groups that work with former FLDS members, like Tapestry or Holding Out HOPE have plans for when the FLDS leadership melts down and the people experience a flood of freedoms they're not used to having.

Most of the boys never learn to read. They are sent out on work crews at a young age. The FLDS and other polygamist groups can do a job cheep because they use child labor. They are often paid in a form of money that is only recognized by their member owned stores. This keeps them from saving up actual money so they have no resources if they try to leave.

There are alot of things going on- 1) grocery store is still closed going on 6 weeks, so the only people that have access to food are the true belivers that is limited to whatever the elders will allow to be distributed. No dairy products, vegetables or anything that was not around during the time that the pioneers came west. 2) Finally people have been able to get mail, so prescriptions have been getting through, however it is still be censured. 3) There has been alot of traffic leaving the community 4) There was no Christmas 5) Medical Clinic is still closed. Biggest issue is that non true believers that live in the community are being straved out plus their vehicles are being taken away so they have no way to leave without help.

Yes the outside community is worried about the health and safety of the residents and Sheriff has been doing drive by for the last couple of weeks. They know that they can't stop them because if they do it could be worst for them.

• 4 weeks later...

A group that monitors them on facebook posted today that in honor of Lyle Jeffs birthday people who went to the clinic were given an apple slice and two marshmallows. This was quite the treat as all stores have been closed and members are given only rations and children of colorado City eat beans and water EVERY DAY. Only infants are allowed milk.

(Lyle Jeffs being Warren's brother, who is serving as the current leader. A quick google shows him to have kicked out 1500 people or 1/4 of the members of the sect in Colorado City last year. He held their hands and could tell if they were lying about their "sins." He also gives out Warrens edicts from prison [Warren at least gets 3 meals a day, oh the irony] such as no sex with spouses and now all property and possessions must be turned over to the church.)

The same group reported today that Ruby Jessop and her children finally got out.

http://helpthechildbrides.com/stories/rubyjess.htm

The FLDS has suffered several blows lately, with the state of TX siezing their ranch and assets.

A group that monitors them on facebook posted today that in honor of Lyle Jeffs birthday people who went to the clinic were given an apple slice and two marshmallows. This was quite the treat as all stores have been closed and members are given only rations and children of colorado City eat beans and water EVERY DAY. Only infants are allowed milk.

(Lyle Jeffs being Warren's brother, who is serving as the current leader. A quick google shows him to have kicked out 1500 people or 1/4 of the members of the sect in Colorado City last year. He held their hands and could tell if they were lying about their "sins." He also gives out Warrens edicts from prison [Warren at least gets 3 meals a day, oh the irony] such as no sex with spouses and now all property and possessions must be turned over to the church.)

The same group reported today that Ruby Jessop and her children finally got out.

http://helpthechildbrides.com/stories/rubyjess.htm

The FLDS has suffered several blows lately, with the state of TX siezing their ranch and assets.

I'm glad Ruby finally escaped. I'm pissed that the state allowed this young woman to be abused for so many years.

http://news.yahoo.com/criminal-probe-on ... 44957.html

Soooooooooo Jinger is actually a name and not something Michelle made up because she couldnt think of another J name.

I'm pretty sure they liked the name Ginger and that's where Jinger came from in the Duggar's case.

I believe Ruby was one of the child brides married alongside Elissa Wall. In Wall's book, she uses the pseudonym "Lily" for her, but between her book and Flora's it's possible to piece together. Wall mentions that there was another girl, slightly older (16) married with them, but who seemed happy to be married and whose husband wasn't abusive in the same way that Ruby or Elissa's husbands were. Still, I wonder what happened to her.

I'm glad that Ruby- along with Flora, Elissa, Carolyn Jessop, Brent Jeffs, and too few others- found safety.

I have to confess, I initally read that as 'Jinger Cookie'.

I read Jinger Coke, translated to the normal "Ginger Coke" and though, I'd totally drink that.

I was so happy to read that Ruby got away, finally. It does seem like Jeffs is going to get increasingly drastic with his demands. I truly hope the children are spared.

I was so happy to read that Ruby got away, finally. It does seem like Jeffs is going to get increasingly drastic with his demands. I truly hope the children are spared.

I've checked on the Ruby Jessop story for years. I'm glad she finally made it out. The politicians in AZ and UT who look the other way need to be impeached.

I've checked on the Ruby Jessop story for years. I'm glad she finally made it out. The politicians in AZ and UT who look the other way need to be impeached.

I read that when DCF questioned her about the situation at the compound, they allowed her abusers to be right there for the questioning. WTF? Whoever didn't separate her from the adults should never be allowed to "protect" children in that role again.

I read that when DCF questioned her about the situation at the compound, they allowed her abusers to be right there for the questioning. WTF? Whoever didn't separate her from the adults should never be allowed to "protect" children in that role again.

Agreed......

Archived