Just thought I'd note here that Lorin Holm was able to pick up his eight children by two of his wives without incident last night. A judge awarded custody to Holm on Friday in part because the mothers could not demonstrate they could protect the girls from being taken off without notice** or that the boys couldn't be ejected from the FLDS community, again without notice. One of my friends is the guardian ad litem for the kids and was there for the custody handoff last night.

**It's not marriage anymore, since apparently no marriages have been solemnized since 2006. But girls have been disappearing, being moved around.

I have a feeling that the children have been given instructions to keep sweet but rebellious against their father. They have probably been drilled on how to do this too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that the children have been given instructions to keep sweet but rebellious against their father. They have probably been drilled on how to do this too.

That's exactly what happened with Caroline Jessop's kids. They were told to make as much trouble for her as they could, to fake bruises and claim abuse, and, when visiting their father, were made to fast and pray for their mother's death.

I will never, ever understand this. Women can't see male doctors. But FLDS women will never be allowed to become doctors and are most likely not allowed to see doctors outside the community. Therefore, FLDS women are probably denied all medical care whatsoever. It makes me sad to know that these women are so brainwashed, they can't see that this is the ultimate message that the FLDS does not care about women and never will.

I'm sure there was a fundie guy (can't remember his name) who was discussed on here; he had actually said something along the lines that if a woman dies in childbirth, she has died doing the thing God created her for! Does anyone know who I mean...?

It seems like so many people have been kicked out or left in the past year or so, that nobody would be left. Does anyone have an idea as to how many people have left /how many people remain in the group? How many people are there in the Texas group? Are they also doing all the crazy stuff (no marriage/no sex/no toys/etc all the recent edicts) and are they also losing tons of people?

I second and agree that is downward spiral of fundieness is extremely disturbing. I am afraid of another Jonestown too, or Helter Skelter.

That's exactly what happened with Caroline Jessop's kids. They were told to make as much trouble for her as they could, to fake bruises and claim abuse, and, when visiting their father, were made to fast and pray for their mother's death.

I have a question. In the end, didn't 6 of Caroline Jessop's 7 get intergrated into the real world?

I know the oldest daughter ran away twice and finally went back to live with her father. She was probably the most brainwashed, and let's face it, as a daughter of Merril Jessop she is treated as "royalty" in that community. I am sincerely hoping the others stayed in the RW.

It seems like so many people have been kicked out or left in the past year or so, that nobody would be left. Does anyone have an idea as to how many people have left /how many people remain in the group? How many people are there in the Texas group? Are they also doing all the crazy stuff (no marriage/no sex/no toys/etc all the recent edicts) and are they also losing tons of people?

At least there is support now for those who are forced out or leaving on their own free will. Before I felt so bad for the children who were either kicked out or ran away. Especially the girls who were escaping being a child bride. At least now they have somewhere to go. It maybe FLDS but at least they are out of the cult and some of them have a chance at having a somewhat normal life.

I have a question. In the end, didn't 6 of Caroline Jessop's 7 get intergrated into the real world?

I know the oldest daughter ran away twice and finally went back to live with her father. She was probably the most brainwashed, and let's face it, as a daughter of Merril Jessop she is treated as "royalty" in that community. I am sincerely hoping the others stayed in the RW.

I wonder what happened to Betty Jessop after her father Merril Jessop was kicked out.

Merril got kicked out?! Frickin'A, I have really let my FLDS watching slide. :shock:

It occurred in February 2011. Caroline went on Anderson Cooper about the same time and said that she had not been able to contact Betty since November 2010. I have not seen any updates since then.

It occurred in February 2011. Caroline went on Anderson Cooper about the same time and said that she had not been able to contact Betty since November 2010. I have not seen any updates since then.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I just assumed that Merril was one of the blessed inseminators Jeffs appointed.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I just assumed that Merril was one of the blessed inseminators Jeffs appointed.

No, but he has started an offshoot of the flds.

Edit to add

Here is a new story about three women who recently left. It shows Jeffs slow progression into becoming more and more authoritarian.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55401 ... s.html.csp

The last report I read was from early 2011 and had Betty cooking and cleaning for a houseful of her half brothers and being kept to the edges of FLDS society.

I kind of hope shes with her father, anything would be better than being under Jeff's control.

What about Merriane? She must be 18 by now, or close too. I wonder if she's gone back to live with Warren's other "wives" even with her father excommunicated and her mother dead. Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if she has.

Isn't tonight's Sister Wives focusing on the flds cult? I'm reading a series of books by Diane Noble called Gabriel's Wives about the early days of the Mormon church. Young brides were very common in the early days and it seemed like there were only a chose few husbands who were all older.

The last report I read was from early 2011 and had Betty cooking and cleaning for a houseful of her half brothers and being kept to the edges of FLDS society.

I kind of hope shes with her father, anything would be better than being under Jeff's control.

What about Merriane? She must be 18 by now, or close too. I wonder if she's gone back to live with Warren's other "wives" even with her father excommunicated and her mother dead. Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if she has.

Where did you see the report on Betty? I have not been able to find it. I hope she leaves bother the FLDS and her father. But, I wonder if she has too much vested in it. She did choose to go back there.

I have not seen any reports about Merriane. She was placed in the custody of a relative. Sadly, there is a chance that she did go back.

While all this amazing sleuthing is going on, does anyone know any updates on Kenyon Blackmore and his children? I read about his daughter (Alana?) in "Under the Banner of Heaven".

Since there are very few pregnant women at the present time, ban on sex except with the chosen 15 old men. There are six trained midwives in the community who are monitoring them. Two of the high risk patients have already been moved, to undisclosed bunker. The real concern are the other people in the community that have serious medical issues and without medication they could die, it is being withheld right now. Since they will not let the Air evac landslide any longer plus they fired the EMTs there is no way people can get to medical care without breaking the new rules. We will have to see after this weekend what will happen, Elder meeting and according to people in the know there are 3 10 page letters from Jeffs outlining his new views.

w/ the lack of female doctors/etc...how is the birth-control thing working?

I know no marriages are allowed, but I have to assume that some of these young women are still ending up pregnant and...what could happen to them just seem sterrifying.

Since there are very few pregnant women at the present time, ban on sex except with the chosen 15 old men. There are six trained midwives in the community who are monitoring them. Two of the high risk patients have already been moved, to undisclosed bunker. The real concern are the other people in the community that have serious medical issues and without medication they could die, it is being withheld right now. Since they will not let the Air evac landslide any longer plus they fired the EMTs there is no way people can get to medical care without breaking the new rules. We will have to see after this weekend what will happen, Elder meeting and according to people in the know there are 3 10 page letters from Jeffs outlining his new views.

I was just wondering have you heard anymore and if so what are Jeffs newest edicts and have they prompted any more members to leave? I know these people are brainwashed and heavily indoctrinated, but at some point everyone has a breaking point. The FLDS were my gateway fundies and I've always feared that under Warren there is a very real chance that they could become the next Jonestown or Waco. What I don't understand is why the powers that be won't step in a stop the madness already there has to be a legal way to keep Warren from communicating with his victims and there has to be a way to bring law enforcement to Hilldale and Colorado. City that will actually uphold the law instead of FLDS edicts. Couldn't CPS get involved if children are among the people who are having medication and medical care withheld? I know they have allot of kids with severe disabilities because of the inbreeding couldn't authorities step in to make sure severely disabled children get the medical care they need?

Where did you see the report on Betty? I have not been able to find it. I hope she leaves bother the FLDS and her father. But, I wonder if she has too much vested in it. She did choose to go back there.

I have not seen any reports about Merriane. She was placed in the custody of a relative. Sadly, there is a chance that she did go back.

It was from the round of interviews Caroline did when Triumph was released. That's all I can remember, sorry.

I do worry about Merriane. It seems she identified as Barbara's daughter and Warren's wife more than as Merril's daughter, so it would not surprise me that with her mother dead and her father kicked out she would join Warren's other wives when she timed out of CPS supervision. I really hope not, but I suspect that her mother would never have let her go to a relative who would help her question her marraige.

I was just wondering have you heard anymore and if so what are Jeffs newest edicts and have they prompted any more members to leave? I know these people are brainwashed and heavily indoctrinated, but at some point everyone has a breaking point.

For the three young women featured in last weekend's article in the Salt Lake Tribune, the breaking point was apparently having to steal off to the nearest Walmart to buy sanitary pads, rather than having to wash and reuse. :shock: You know, stuff like that.

I can never get over things like this. Sanitary towels are a godsend! They can prise my precious pads from my cold dead hands...

w/ the lack of female doctors/etc...how is the birth-control thing working?

I know no marriages are allowed, but I have to assume that some of these young women are still ending up pregnant and...what could happen to them just seem sterrifying.

Anyone else think the no marriages thing might be because Jeffs is convinced he'll be released so will come back and have his pick of all the unmarried girls?

Anyone know what's happening on the Yearning for Zion ranch lately. Are there FLDS still there?

Anyone else think the no marriages thing might be because Jeffs is convinced he'll be released so will come back and have his pick of all the unmarried girls?

Anyone know what's happening on the Yearning for Zion ranch lately. Are there FLDS still there?

No photo updates since July from here (http://www.eldoradoflds.us/). That was when they built a tower and then tore it down.

Non-rhetorical question: How is it that child labor laws were traditionally enforced? It has always been the case that everyone involved with child labor had a monetary reason to keep it a secret. The parents would get money, the company would get cheap labor, the clients would get cheap labor. And yet child labor used to be common in the US and now it's incredibly rare. How did this change come about? What are the factors that enabled this to work the first time but wouldn't work against the FLDS?

Also, why not go after the FLDS on racketeering or anti-mafia laws? They have monopoly power and I can't see much difference from where I'm standing between them and organized crime.

Finally, couldn't you also go after them for tax or welfare fraud? In the FLDS compound most mothers are on TANF as "single mothers" despite being married. I'd think reducing welfare fraud, in particular, would play very well in Republican-controlled states.

Archived