IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

didn't go through the whole thread again, but

and as you well know, there are countless more examples all over the Josh threads on this board. The dialogue over him and Anna is largely not about the damaging effects of the fundie lifestyle. It is about making fun of him for being fat, or, in the case of this thread, being nasty about Anna's body (she's not even in plus sizes, wtf) because her sister is thinner than her.

It is everyone's right to eat as they choose -- although I do hate that it affects the health of innocent children. No one's self worth should be evaluated based on a physical characteristic. I dislike people based on their sucky personalities, not their size, race, or any other physical aspect. I find it hard to wrap my brain around people who do judge solely on a person's size because it's a foreign concept to me (I know it exists, but I don't speak that language.) Other people's comfort zones are in different places but some people shut down to your point when you call them assholes whether you are talking about them or not. You lose credibility for demanding respect when you have no respect for the people you are addressing. JMO.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I'm not trying to censor anybody. You can say "lol, Josh is so fat" all you want, but I reserve my right to call you an asshole for doing so. With that being said, while this forum is by no means homogenous, I think there are some things that are generally (and rightly) considered poor form - such as speculating on the sexuality of the Duggar kids, or snarking on their bodies; blatant sexism, homophobia, racism etc. I don't want to start some sort of oppression olympics, but would you be responding to people upset about sexist comments with ~free speech~? My guess is no

Yeah, I would.

If someone made a sexist remark it would lessen my opinion of that poster, but I wouldn't be posting walls of text about how sexist statements are wrong and how the whole board should be conforming to my ideals about what it is acceptable to talk about.

The only things I think should be off limits are speculation about the sexual orientation of minors and making threats of harm against anyone. And the only reason I'm against the speculation about sexual orientation is because these kids live in an environment where Internet speculation that they may be homosexual could cause them real harm.

It stifles discourse when people are worrying about getting hand slapped and piled in on for expressing their opinions. If you don't agree then voice your dissent, by all means, but please don't try to dictate what others can discuss and change the nature of the board.

I just wanted to add - I have been concerned about speculation about the sexuality of one young fundie boy (not a Duggar).

Instead of a hand slapping pearl clutching post about how bigoted and wrong the OP was, I sent her a polite PM expressing my concerns about possible consequences for that child, whose mother reads here. She saw my point and altered her post. I suggest you utilise a similar approach - if you think a particular post is harmful, contact the person who posted it and explain why. Most people here would respond positively to that in a way that they won't to generalised posts calling people names and trying to impose your view of what should and shouldn't be posted to the board.

I read the other thread all of the time and I didn't view most comments as being fat-shaming until they involved Anna. Fat shaming bothers me more with women because we seem have hormone problems like PCOS and are more likely to have hypothyroid issues than men. But it's still bad either way. I don't like the fat slob comments either but I agree this is a snark board and when I've had enough I take a break from FJ for a couple of days.

Anyway, I think there have been a lot of excellent posts on the other thread about food quality and food preparation and about how the Duggars, like a lot of other mega families, fall short. It set up Joseh to be an addict and he is addicted plain and simple. That's nothing to be ashamed about and maybe someday he will find some way to get healthy. That is my hope for him and for the future generations of his family. In the meantime, I don't want to judge him or comment on the way he looks. I work with a lady who told me she is a sugar addict and she cannot help it. It is interesting and backed up by recent studies that show obesity is related to the quality of one's gut flora. Sugar feeds those bad bacteria and they want to be fed, hence the cravings and overeating. So what's to judge? I think empathy is called for instead.

Back on topic...I see his Josh's food issues as a major fail on his parents' part. Teaching your children about how to eat is a gift, especially in this day and age when everything is processed.

Well I reserve my right to call you a misguided butthurt. :roll: Happy now we got that out of your system?

Comparing our snark on Josh and his #healthychoices is nothing like that of sexist remarks. But whatever floats your goat.

Fact; Josh is fat! Fact; Josh is looking sickly, shiny and aged! Fact; He's a lazy pompous ass.

If you want to take offense to these things, again I must repeat, these reflect more on you and your own misdirection of the opinions here and your own insecurities as a person, taking this much too seriously and personally.

You deal with your damage by handslapping, and we'll just continue with some witty banter that doesn't hurt anyone, OK? ;)

I don't really know what to say about this. Are you taking tips from www.derailingfordummies.com ?????

Look, i am going to be the first to admit that I am technically "obese". Its exacerbated by breastfeeding hormones, I don't eat that badly to be as heavy as I am. And yet, i'm 233. I'm not happy about it, but shit, that's just my body at this current juncture. And its probably because I've had 2 pregnancies damn near back to back with no break in between. (there will likely not be any more because I'm not batshit quiverful) I probably could get down to a "clinically" healthy weight, but it would endanger my milk supply, so i'm just sucking up the fact that I currently own no pants I fit into and once my daughter is older, will embark on some serious food related lifestyle changes.

The reason I personally get pissy about Josh is he's making the rest of us "fatties" look bad. He's a lazy, shiftless idiot fundie who bloviates about how we should live our lives, and yet, he's not doing a great job of ensuring that he'll live past 40-50 for his kids. Even though he's an epic douche bag, I would not wish death upon him and the disregard for his own health is startling and frightening.

I just wanted to add - I have been concerned about speculation about the sexuality of one young fundie boy (not a Duggar).

Instead of a hand slapping pearl clutching post about how bigoted and wrong the OP was, I sent her a polite PM expressing my concerns about possible consequences for that child, whose mother reads here. She saw my point and altered her post. I suggest you utilise a similar approach - if you think a particular post is harmful, contact the person who posted it and explain why. Most people here would respond positively to that in a way that they won't to generalised posts calling people names and trying to impose your view of what should and shouldn't be posted to the board.

That's great that that's how you prefer to deal situations like this, and that it's been effective for you. For me, I think the number of PM's that would require is more than I want to think about, plus for me personally, I believe that public bigotry should be challenged publicly - it's not just the person writing the message that's thinking it or reading it. I don't particularly expect everyone posting offensive things to change their minds about a post or their worldview in any sort of relevant timeframe either, and I'm not particularly interested in dictating changes to posts, (especially with a ten minute edit window!).

Meanwhile, I want to hear more about David and Priscilla and their stealing since this is a thread about them after all. I will say, after living in a small town my entire life, small town police departments get a little excited when some action occurs. Even if it involves a few pecans.

That's great that that's how you prefer to deal situations like this, and that it's been effective for you. For me, I think the number of PM's that would require is more than I want to think about, plus for me personally, I believe that public bigotry should be challenged publicly - it's not just the person writing the message that's thinking it or reading it. I don't particularly expect everyone posting offensive things to change their minds about a post or their worldview in any sort of relevant timeframe either, and I'm not particularly interested in dictating changes to posts, (especially with a ten minute edit window!).

Then I suggest that you STFU with crying "fat shaming!!!!11!!11!!!1" every time someone brings up Josh's weight.

Commenting on appearances isn't bigotry. Josh is a white, Christian male, he's not an oppressed group, and neither are the overweight.

You are attempting your own form of shaming, you want to shame everyone who doesn't think just like you as a bigot. It's not the reality, and it's getting really, really boring.

Meanwhile, I want to hear more about David and Priscilla and their stealing since this is a thread about them after all. I will say, after living in a small town my entire life, small town police departments get a little excited when some action occurs. Even if it involves a few pecans.

Me to but it might be OT for this thread by now. :lol:

I'm not involved with the Josh's instagram so I can only voice my opinion on Josh's weight treatment outside of that. I see occasional comments making fun of his weight but more often in context of his laziness and smugness. I believe he is unhealthy and I think it's lifestyle related. I don't see the weight gain as a moral failure, but more of a medical issue he should try to resolve for his kids.

I'm pretty sympathetic to obese individuals. I see a lot of them as patients. Many would like to lose weight or have tried and have gotten nowhere. For most, it's a lifestyle issue. There are a few patients that are overweight for non-lifestyle related issues, but overwhelmingly, people eat unhealthy and don't exercise and that's why they are fat.

I never try to tell people to "just lose weight" or treat obesity as a cosmetic issue (because it is not). I start talks of weight lose by asking about diets and physical activities. From there, I encourage minor changes in diet and an increase in physical activity. It's all about baby steps and offering support and not judgement. Each time the patient comes back, I restart the subject matter with encouragement and offering advice on continued improvement. It's about lifestyle changes, not crash dieting.

That said, I also refuse to provide excuses for obesity. I feel some people believe they are doing obese people a favor by excusing their behavior in weight gain. The truth is, most people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise enough. For the vast majority, it's not because of a "fat gene" (although that is a component), or a metabolic issue (a rarity and weight gain is never as great as most think). Far from wanting to sound like those conservative talking heads, I think personal responsibility need to be stressed here. If a patient is overweight and can't seem to "shake it off", standard tests are usually ordered to check for medical causes, but the vast majority of people see weight gain because of controllable lifestyle factors.

Telling people that they can and should lose weight for health reasons is not judging them. In med school, I've been on a service rotation caring for severely underweight children. No one thinks I'm judging these malnourished children for helping them to gain weight, why should it be fat persecution for me to suggest weight loss for my patients with diabetes, heart disease and stroke patients?

I try not to judge people who admit to sneaking steaks in or cheating on their exercise, but I refuse to offer excuses unless I see one in the medical charts. Plus, most studies show positive factors of obesity are only partial contributors. It does not mean a person is wholly absolved from taking responsibility for their weight gain. The truth is, 100 years ago, even those with a propensity to gain weight would rarely deviate from a healthy range. A sweet tooth or a family history of being "husky" does not explain a weight of 400 lbs on a 5'4" frame.

For Josh, the dramatic weight gain seen in the last few years, particularly on a young man, is NOT healthy. Dramatic weight changes is rarely normal or healthy. I do think he should at least see a dietitian if he isn't able to keep the weight off by himself. Just a glance at the show indicates probably some nutritional ignorance. I actually don't mind Josh Duggar. I think he is poorly educated by his parents and has a heavy burden supporting a fast growing family. I feel the Duggar family have poor understanding of proper nutrition, which is masked by the healthy weights maintained through exercise and the young ages of the Duggars. The thing is, most children will maintain a good weight as long as they stay active. Once they start aging and reduce their physical activity, the poor eating habits will manifest in weight gain. I'm afraid that the other Duggar children will begin to see weight gain as well once they grow up and get married. Josh may be at the forefront of a new Duggar trend.

WTF. Why did they think it was okay to steal?? Why did he offer $100 but not the pecans back? (Nuts are pretty expensive. $100 isn't actually an excessive amount.)

Also the whole story sounded weird and unrealistic.

These people are so bizarre. I cannot imagine stealing like that.

Edit: What is up with Priscilla's face? In every picture she looks like she's laughing and her eyes are terribly squinted. Does she need sunglasses? Or is laughing her photograph face?

Me to but it might be OT for this thread by now. :lol:

Lol yeah I know but inquiring minds want to know. If they couldn't afford 50 bucks for the motel then how did he have a hundred to offer the farmer they stole from? I am now annoyed that he didn't finish the damn story. However, it is sure to involve someone repenting and coming to Christ or perhaps a "clever" analogy playing off of those pecans. Mmm pecans.

If part one of stealing pecans was good for seven pages, rehashing old grievances and yet another round of handslapping, can you imagine what part two will accomplish?

David has hit upon one of my grievances with evangelicals and fundamentalists. If you are in the wrong, please just shut up about Christianity, Jesus, God, the Bible and all related concepts. You aren't doing Christianity any favors by prattling about it while in the midst of your wrong doing. Above please don't try to witness to those you have wronged.

The mindset that all times are good times for witnessing is one of their really painful errors in belief in my view. My fundie neighbors were in a car accident earlier this year. Amidst telling me of the accident (not their fault), they had to brag about witnessing to the other driver. The poor dear young woman who was shaking because she had just totalled two cars did not need that upon everything else.

I was puzzled by the $50 too much for a hotel room yet he'd give the farmer $100 to buy himself out of trouble also. Maybe he offered the guy $20 but thought $100 sounded better. He wouldn't add lying to stealing would he?

If part one of stealing pecans was good for seven pages, rehashing old grievances and yet another round of handslapping, can you imagine what part two will accomplish?

David has hit upon one of my grievances with evangelicals and fundamentalists. If you are in the wrong, please just shut up about Christianity, Jesus, God, the Bible and all related concepts. You aren't doing Christianity any favors by prattling about it while in the midst of your wrong doing. Above please don't try to witness to those you have wronged.

The mindset that all times are good times for witnessing is one of their really painful errors in belief in my view. My fundie neighbors were in a car accident earlier this year. Amidst telling me of the accident (not their fault), they had to brag about witnessing to the other driver. The poor dear young woman who was shaking because she had just totalled two cars did not need that upon everything else.

I was puzzled by the $50 too much for a hotel room yet he'd give the farmer $100 to buy himself out of trouble also. Maybe he offered the guy $20 but thought $100 sounded better. He wouldn't add lying to stealing would he?

Lying is only wrong if not done in the name of Jesus and to protect your witness. At least I think that's how that justification goes.

WTF. Why did they think it was okay to steal?? Why did he offer $100 but not the pecans back? (Nuts are pretty expensive. $100 isn't actually an excessive amount.)

Also the whole story sounded weird and unrealistic.

These people are so bizarre. I cannot imagine stealing like that.

Edit: What is up with Priscilla's face? In every picture she looks like she's laughing and her eyes are terribly squinted. Does she need sunglasses? Or is laughing her photograph face?

His actions show his sense of entitlement. I do wonder if he actually gave the farmer a real $100 or a fake tract one.

I'll admit, I'm damn sick of this too. (If anyone is actually interested in the relationship between diet, fat and health, this is a decent list of articles on the topic, and worth a skim of the notes at least, even if you don't agree with my position http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.ph ... -evidence/ )

In David & Priscilla news, that story has to be ~greatly~ embellished, right? Threatening to shoot them? Although, I think if anything is worth calling the police over, it's David's "I'm a born again christian..." spiel

This pecan story... I just can't.

"Finally, the deputy for the area arrived. God so ordained him to be a large jolly African-American officer."

This pecan story... I just can't.

"Finally, the deputy for the area arrived. God so ordained him to be a large jolly African-American officer."

To quote Joe Biden, "malarkey".

I'll admit, I'm damn sick of this too. (If anyone is actually interested in the relationship between diet, fat and health, this is a decent list of articles on the topic, and worth a skim of the notes at least, even if you don't agree with my position http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.ph ... -evidence/ )

In David & Priscilla news, that story has to be ~greatly~ embellished, right? Threatening to shoot them? Although, I think if anything is worth calling the police over, it's David's "I'm a born again christian..." spiel

This lady is not a Registered Dietician. She's done clinical work as a Diet Tech (so presumably has her two year degree) and then went to college to get her RD. HOWEVER, she couldn't get herself an internship, which means she can't take the registration exam. Basically, it's like a doctor who has never been a resident in a hospital or taken their final exams and going to that person for information. So, she got decent enough grades to graduate from college, but they were too shitty to get an internship. That, or she is poor at networking. The word nutritionist has no backing to it whatsoever. You can read an article in a newspaper, call yourself a nutritionist, and give advice without repercussions.

The memberships she mentions you get from being enrolled in a Dietetics program. You can get one the day after you enroll in classes.

I wouldn't go to a psychiatrist who wasn't certified to diagnose a mental disorder and prescribe medication who couldn't be bothered to get "the little letters" at the end of their name.

This lady is not a Registered Dietician. She's done clinical work as a Diet Tech (so presumably has her two year degree) and then went to college to get her RD. HOWEVER, she couldn't get herself an internship, which means she can't take the registration exam. Basically, it's like a doctor who has never been a resident in a hospital or taken their final exams and going to that person for information. So, she got decent enough grades to graduate from college, but they were too shitty to get an internship. That, or she is poor at networking. The word nutritionist has no backing to it whatsoever. You can read an article in a newspaper, call yourself a nutritionist, and give advice without repercussions.

The memberships she mentions you get from being enrolled in a Dietetics program. You can get one the day after you enroll in classes.

I wouldn't go to a psychiatrist who wasn't certified to diagnose a mental disorder and prescribe medication who couldn't be bothered to get "the little letters" at the end of their name.

Jeez, I wasn't asking you to take medical advice from her. It's a link post!

I cant' stand hearing Priscilla and David speak. They sound like annoying kids which is about as bad as running nails across a chalkboard.

the most important discipline of the Christian life—the memorization of God’s Word.

No, it isn't. It's taking the Word to heart and practicing what Jesus taught.

WELL, TO GET BACK TO DAVID AND PRISCILLA...

I posted a comment that, I'm sure, will never see the light of day.

Ditto. My ampersand turned into a $ sign. Thank goodness I used a madeup email addy.

Still can't find the dumb pecan story. eta: nevermind. I'm sure it was part of his speech. I was writing a term paper and could only skim. I have a half an hour before skating from and I've tippled a few: I'll try to read it again. Pray for me: my puke choices are husband, computer and floor (where my winter shoes reside...don't ask).

What would you choose to sacrifice to read that screed?

Wow, calling others bigots while not really having a reason for your butthurt or a realistic outcome for your rants, ding ding ding We have a Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!

<>

Archived