IGNORED

Tonight on 20/20: Breaking Polygamy

Inbreeding is not uncommon with polygamy groups in Utah. There are a few contributing factors including the fact that the members of the church can only marry other members of the church.

You also have groups like the Kingstons who do inbreeding in order to "purify" their genetics. I would not be surprised if thats also happening with the FLDS.

I read some time ago that the inbreeding was producing a highly disproportionate number of children with serious issues. The women see the children as a "gift from god".

After seeing the 20/20 episode, I had serious nightmares last night. It's Jonestown right under our noses.

They mention a 20/20 a few years ago where they interviewed FLDS (its mentioned early on when they re-play the dressmaker's shop).

Does anyone know when that episode aired? I think most, if not all, of the 20/20 eps from the past several years are available online, but I can't figure out which ep it is.

BTW, I really appreciated that this episode showed not just the damage to the girls, but to the boys as well. The boys are just as victimized as the girls. They are used, and abused and then thrown away when they reach puberty. Girls have some value as they grow up because they need wives/babymakers. But, boys who reach their teens are just garbage to them. So many just get left on the side of the road without an education, or a penny to their names. I just cannot understand how anyone can throw their boys out like that.

Also, could Willie be in a foster home away from his mom and sisters because they are in a women's only shelter? They look like they are in an apartment, but then again it would be hard to tell.

Most populations that isolate and inbreed eventually show with some genetic condition. The blue people of Appalachia disappeared when they stopped inbreeding. Tay Sach's is associated with one sect of Jewish populations. The Amish of PA have Hemophilia in their communities, to the point that their women have Hemophilia. They have a couple of other genetic disorders as well, one of which iirc is specific to just Lancaster County.

One case of inbreeding in a family rarely causes a lot of genetic conditions to manifest. However, the more generations of inbreeding you have, the more likely those recessive disorders will start manefesting and can run rampant in populations that refuse to bring in fresh genetic material.

I watched the 20/20 episode, but I missed the reason the boy was not living with his mother and sisters. What was the reason? The foster family who took him in was amazing. Very inspiring.

From what I remember from previous 20/20 episodes, boys are kicked out once they reach puberty because the cult leaders want all the girls for themselves as wives and baby factories. Boys are just as victimized as girls since they are tossed out like garbage, with no education or any money. Also, when that boy's dad was excommunicated from the cult and his mom left with the children, he became an apostate like his sisters. Now, with Jeffs saying that only 15 men are allowed to father children, that means that there would be more boys kicked out.

I agree that it's another Jonestown right under our noses, and the sad thing is that not only is Jeffs crazy enough to order such a thing, but his followers are so brainwashed that they will kill themselves and their children.

The boy is likely in a fosterhome because nonprofits working with escape FLDS are finding it's very dangerous to allow teen boys to remain with FLDS women and children when they first come out.

The teen boys have been taught to treat women and children as victims who have no voice to stop what they wish to do. The women and children have been taught to accept abuse without question. From the research and stories I've read, the teen boys can and DO relearn how to relate to women and children, and in fact do so better than many women learn to NOT allow abuse and protect their children.

I've heard of several cases where the teen boys preyed upon little sisters when rehabilitation was done under the same roof. These boys do NOT do this to outside women because they do not tolerate the behaviors. The boys have to learn the behaviors are unacceptable. They cannot do that around bred victims who will not teach the behavior is unacceptable.

Heartbreaking, just heartbreaking. Like others have said, sooner or later Jeffs is going to give the signal for something really awful to happen.

I remember watching a segment a few years ago that featured Flora Jessop, another escapee from the FLDS who is also related to Elissa Wall. She took a journalist to an FLDS graveyard for babies. This graveyard must have had at least 100 markers of babies who died before the first year. I wonder now if these all died of the fumarase deficiency that seems to be the big genetic genie in the inbred bottle of the twin towns. No way to really know, as all of these children were never given birth certificates, so they technically never existed. There are no medical records or investigations into their deaths.

I had gotten a real bad feeling from watching the 20/20 show last night. Not just a this is weird or I can't believe people live like this. I got chills when they said he was dictating even stranger edicts from prison and that some of his ramblings have taken an end of the world bent. Not sure if his messages of gloom and doom were in the 20/20 report or if i read that in another online newspaper report.

Makes this much more chilling:

San Angelo, Texas - Authorities searching the compound of a polygamist sect in West Texas found a "cyanide poisoning document" among the dozens of items it seized during a weeklong search.

Nothing in the 80-page list of items seized indicated that members of the sect planned to use cyanide. But the list had no explanation of the document and Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange said she did not have any details about it.

[link=]http://www.rickross.com/reference/polygamy/polygamy827.html[/link]

There doesn't seem to be any additional information about this, but I will continue to search. This particular group has both fascinated and frightened me for a long time.

** I believe that link should be acceptable, but if not I will happily remove it.

I'm watching it now, and hearing the little girls talk about being wicked and missing their family is breaking my heart. Those poor babies :( I'm also shocked at the lack of education, and that Utah's homeschool laws have so little oversight.

I found this on youtube. Its about a former FLDS community in Canada.

It claims the group broke off from the FLDS when Jeffs wanted the Canadian group's leader to help in the execution of a 16 year old girl...

I found this on youtube. Its about a former FLDS community in Canada.

It claims the group broke off from the FLDS when Jeffs wanted the Canadian group's leader to help in the execution of a 16 year old girl...

Execution?!?! Have there been allegations of murder before? I can't watch the video right now, but holy shit. It's incomprehensible the lives this man has ruined. :(

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeffs has committed murder. He probably believes in Blood Atonement, and there have been rumors about a crematorium at the YFZ ranch.

http://www.childbrides.org/control_ABC4 ... emple.html

He told Elissa Wall that she needed to atone by blood atonement.

I think they did find the crematorium in the YFZ temple or around the grounds.

That is so sick that they had a crematorium. Jeffs said the young girl had nothing left for her on earth and needed blood atonement. It was really sick, but was interesting and the family they profiled was very open. The father had 25+ wives and over 120 children. I wonder how well they all even know each other.

I think they did find the crematorium in the YFZ temple or around the grounds.

I have not been able to find any confirmation that there was a crematoria at the YFZ ranch. Do you have any links?

I have not been able to find any confirmation that there was a crematoria at the YFZ ranch. Do you have any links?

I cant find any now. I remember hearing about it on the news but it could have been a rumor. We may never know if there was ever one there. There is still a lot of secret stuff there.

Apparently, according to the book I read, prophets prey by Sam Brower, there was a design for a building that was supposed to house an oven that could burn amazingly hot. The engineer that was supposed to build it ended up objecting, and then fleeing the project. I don't think it ever got built, but it was in the plans...

Archived