IGNORED

Tonight on 20/20: Breaking Polygamy

"Breaking Polygamy" is scheduled to air tonight at 10pm on ABC. The episode will focus on the community since the conviction of Warren Jeffs.

According to ABC,

“20/20″ follows one family: a mother, six daughters and a son, on their path to freedom and as they struggle to survive in the outside world they’ve been taught will be their damnation.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... pm-on-abc/

Here are the video previews: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/breaki ... y-17771030

-and-

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/breaki ... y-17771030

ETA previews and remove an unnecessary word.

The twin towns are getting progressively weirder and weirder due to the edicts being issued by Warrne from his jail cell.

According to multiple sources, this year Jeffs has ordered his flock to stop eating all dairy products and processed foods. Also on the prophet's forbidden foods list are oatmeal, corn and turnips.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Polygamist ... 86361.html

There's more at the link. Mike Watkiss has been covering the twin towns for a couple of decades and I believe he may have helped on the 20/20 report.

The scuttlebutt I'm hearing on the FLDS-watching blogs is that Warren's apparently predicting The End Is Coming (Again) Quite Soon Now Y'Hear and these restrictions are part of Warren's parcel o'crazy to make sure his people are purified prior to that time.

About 6 months ago his followers were also told not have sex any more. Then he told them to store a year worth of food in preaparation of the end of the world.

They need to put him in solitary with no outside communication. but I bet he left little Easter eggs with his favorite followers.

Or someone needs to help his followers... I mean honestly if he can't talk to them, someone else will rise up and make things worse.

He lost his phone priviledges about 6 or 8 months ago because he would call and they would broadcast his phone calls to everyone, he was talking crazy stuff. I have not heard if he got them back or not. His method of communciation are long letters that are read to his followers. If you think that PP is crazy his does not hold a candle to Jeffs.

Or someone needs to help his followers... I mean honestly if he can't talk to them, someone else will rise up and make things worse.

but how do you help them? the ones that want out yes but you can't change their minds so they are not going to accept outside help.

Jeffs wasn't just sending letters to his followers... A friend of mine working for a research library in London said they and some other university groups were getting sent rambling prophetic letters and books from his church every week or so for about two months last year. Totally rambling, barely any punctuation, all about the end of the world and sins, and how God loved some countries and hated others (he showed me one, the jist of which was how unlike many countries, Finland was particularly loved by God, and would lead his apocalyptic armies in Europe, or something, but only if they got rid of gayness in Finland...)

The man pretty clearly needs serious, serious, serious help.

Jeffs wasn't just sending letters to his followers... A friend of mine working for a research library in London said they and some other university groups were getting sent rambling prophetic letters and books from his church every week or so for about two months last year. Totally rambling, barely any punctuation, all about the end of the world and sins, and how God loved some countries and hated others (he showed me one, the jist of which was how unlike many countries, Finland was particularly loved by God, and would lead his apocalyptic armies in Europe, or something, but only if they got rid of gayness in Finland...)

The man pretty clearly needs serious, serious, serious help.

Would it be better i he was detained in a mental institution?

Would it be better i he was detained in a mental institution?

No, and since he's not currently, that's clearly been determined not to be necessary by people qualified to decide. Hopefully he's getting whatever kind of support he needs, if he needs it, in jail.

No, and since he's not currently, that's clearly been determined not to be necessary by people qualified to decide. Hopefully he's getting whatever kind of support he needs, if he needs it, in jail.

If he's had any mental health evaluation in jail, he'd have been found able to stand trial or not.

If he's had any mental health evaluation in jail, he'd have been found able to stand trial or not.

He has been held in the psychiatric wing of the jail hospital a few times, and once in an outside facility, i believe. But he always gets released back to the prison.

He may well be insane, but he is also very manipulative and I think the prison authorities would be very aware of that and subsequently cautious.

I do a bit of criminal defense work. I'd estimate that 60-70 percent of my criminal defense clients suffer from a diagnosable mental illness. Sadly, there is very little help available to them once they've entered the criminal justice system. I've had clients who were clearly hallucinating and delusional when arrested, but it can take weeks and even months to be seen by a state psychiatrist. There is no help for acute episodes, other than solitary confinement.

I suspect Jeffs has likely been seen by state physicians, but there is no substantive help for the severely mentally ill in prison on an ongoing basis. It's a huge problem. Prison is really just a revolving door for a lot of mentally ill.

So why can't 20/20 do something like that "hard-hitting" with Gothard and the Duggars?

There is a difference between being mentally ill and being able so mentally ill that you can not tell right from wrong. Jeffs actions show that he was capable of knowing that he was doing was illegal. But, he continued to do it.

Jeffs cousin, the one who wrote a book on being cast out, told of being viciously raped by Warren Jeffs over a toilet.

He was 5.

Warren can rot and bash his head in. I dont care.

So, Im going to be horrible here...but all the people in Co. city....didn't they all seem cognitivelu disabled or inbred? The huge foreheads, narrow maxilla and pointy jaws...they looked like human chihuahuas...

Jeffs cousin, the one who wrote a book on being cast out, told of being viciously raped by Warren Jeffs over a toilet.

He was 5.

So, Im going to be horrible here...but all the people in Co. city....didn't they all seem cognitivelu disabled or inbred? The huge foreheads, narrow maxilla and pointy jaws...they looked like human chihuahuas...

They have a lot of problems there with inbreeding, but I think part of the problem is just unfortunate looking people breeding more unfortunate looking people.

One of the girls reminded me a lot of Julia Styles though, so some of them are less unfortunate looking than others...just like everywhere else in the world.

He was 5.

Here's an old article about the devastating effects of inbreeding in Colorado City & Hildale. I think I first read it when someone posted it here some time ago...maybe back on Yuku.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-12- ... den-fruit/

I didn't watch 20/20 tonight, though, so I can't comment on its relevance to that family.

Here's an old article about the devastating effects of inbreeding in Colorado City & Hildale. I think I first read it when someone posted it here some time ago...maybe back on Yuku.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-12- ... den-fruit/

I didn't watch 20/20 tonight, though, so I can't comment on its relevance to that family.

Inbreeding is not uncommon with polygamy groups in Utah. There are a few contributing factors including the fact that the members of the church can only marry other members of the church.

You also have groups like the Kingstons who do inbreeding in order to "purify" their genetics. I would not be surprised if thats also happening with the FLDS.

I watched the 20/20 episode, but I missed the reason the boy was not living with his mother and sisters. What was the reason? The foster family who took him in was amazing. Very inspiring.

I really feel for that young man. He can not read and has been doing manual labor since he was about 7. I hope that he has a real future.

I am so glad that the sisters have each other to get through all of this. Yes, it will be with them forever, but since they are not on their own there is so much hope for them to shine, and shine they already do.

Hello all. Breaking my FJ cherry to say Efffff Warren Jeffs. May he die a slow terrible death in prison.

Also, the part about a woman's hair making her worthy may have been the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.

Archived