IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

Wouldn't the correct way to refer to nursing home residents just be "people?"

Edited to add, woohoo! Secretly Bill Gothard!

My mom lives in an assisted living facility (memory care) and the staff refer to the residents as "residents". In a nursing home, which provides medical care, I think the residents may also be referred to as "patients". But in all the facilities I have visited to ensure my mom was in the right place, not a single staff member referred to the residents as "the elderly". It's condescending, really. But that might just be a cultural difference depending on what part of the country you live in? I find "elderly" pretty offensive (to me it's like calling an Asian person or food "oriental"), but maybe in some circles that's still considered okay.

ETA: Woo hoo! I'm a Vision Forum Intern! Wait until they find out I'm a GURL!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom lives in an assisted living facility (memory care) and the staff refer to the residents as "residents". In a nursing home, which provides medical care, I think the residents may also be referred to as "patients". But in all the facilities I have visited to ensure my mom was in the right place, not a single staff member referred to the residents as "the elderly". It's condescending, really. But that might just be a cultural difference depending on what part of the country you live in? I find "elderly" pretty offensive (to me it's like calling an Asian person or food "oriental"), but maybe in some circles that's still considered okay.

I don't find the "elderly" term itself offensive although the way the Maxwells choose to use it, it does sound condescending. I typically use the term in general reference to old people ("The elderly tend to have the most difficulty with handling their meds"). I don't think it's regional, as I've seen "the elderly" used in national broadcasts. Retirement homes do tend to call their people 'residents" though...I think it's implied most people there are elderly LOL.

I don't find the term oriental offensive in of itself. It's an older term that dates back to a more prejudiced era and I think people associate with that time period---kind of like how "Negro" is considered offensive even though it was not a slur during its day. It's rare that I still hear "oriental" referred to people but I still hear its usage from older people around here.

I don't think referring to food as oriental is offensive. The local asian mart here is named "Oriental Market" and is run by an asian couple. I still hear it's usage when referring to food (and rugs!). However, it may be a regional thing.

If they gave an award for "boring," the Maxwells would be over-qualified.

Wasn't there talk of the freejinger fundie awards a (long) while back? Most Painfully Dull should definitely be a category. (Actually, if we also included Most Awful, Most Depressing, and Most Pitiable SAHD, the Maxwells could do quite nicely in the FJ awards.)

I left a polite comment on the watching paint concrete dry post as to when Joe was moving into the house. of course Stevie deleted it.

Stevie, it's a valid question :naughty:

I left a polite comment on the watching paint concrete dry post as to when Joe was moving into the house. of course Stevie deleted it.

Stevie, it's a valid question :naughty:

Well, and a question people who follow their blog legitimately want to know! My guess is that Joseph won't be allowed to live there before he finds someone else who will marry him, although he might be allowed to sleep there. I recall Christopher was still taking all his meals at the compound but allowed to sleep at his own house before he and NR-Anna were married. Not sure how long that went on, though.

Well, and a question people who follow their blog legitimately want to know! My guess is that Joseph won't be allowed to live there before he finds someone else who will marry him, although he might be allowed to sleep there. I recall Christopher was still taking all his meals at the compound but allowed to sleep at his own house before he and NR-Anna were married. Not sure how long that went on, though.

He should just "flip it" and put it on the market. He's damaged goods as he gave away part of his heart to Liz. No honorable parents would let their daughter marry someone without their whole heart. :naughty:

Their creepy smiles really get to me. I always think it's especially noticeable when they take pics of each other in "casual" conversation with attendees at the conferences. The Maxwells in the pictures are always giving the attendees the creepy smiles. And the attendees are usually just looking like normal people in conversation.

He should just "flip it" and put it on the market. He's damaged goods as he gave away part of his heart to Liz. No honorable parents would let their daughter marry someone without their whole heart. :naughty:

Unless, they cave and let Rebecca!!!!!111!!!!!1! become a Maxwell. She keeps trying, she won't care. Then the whole he gave pieces of his heart to Liz will be as if it didn't exist.

Unless, they cave and let Rebecca!!!!!111!!!!!1! become a Maxwell. She keeps trying, she won't care. Then the whole he gave pieces of his heart to Liz will be as if it didn't exist.

I would love to see Stevie give Rebecca EleventyHundred!!!!! a chance, but I think she's just not up to his standards. She's overweight (by his standards) and just doesn't seem very bright, and she likes to have FUN, which we all know is against the rules. And for some reason, I get the feeling her dad is an ex-convict. I'm not really sure why I feel that way because there has never been any evidence to it, but there's something about him I can't quite put my finger on. I clearly need to get a life and stop thinking so much about people I don't know or will never meet.

What about one of the trespassing on railway line seventy!!1!!1 sisters for Joe?

Although they all seem to have a mental age of 10 and like 'fun' but they dress more modestly than the Maxwells and I'm sure Stevie and Terri can show them the error of their of their ways.

What about one of the trespassing on railway line seventy!!1!!1 sisters for Joe?

Although they all seem to have a mental age of 10 and like 'fun' but they dress more modestly than the Maxwells and I'm sure Stevie and Terri can show them the error of their of their ways.

The Seven Sisters are dumb but I'd never ever wish them on the Maxwells. They seem to have a pretty fun life which would surely be stamped out in Maxhell. On the other hand, if the "kids" from Sarah on down were to move and live with the Seven Sisters they might learn to have some f-n

I would love to see Stevie give Rebecca EleventyHundred!!!!! a chance, but I think she's just not up to his standards. She's overweight (by his standards) and just doesn't seem very bright, and she likes to have FUN, which we all know is against the rules. And for some reason, I get the feeling her dad is an ex-convict. I'm not really sure why I feel that way because there has never been any evidence to it, but there's something about him I can't quite put my finger on. I clearly need to get a life and stop thinking so much about people I don't know or will never meet.

I have to agree with what everyone has written in these last posting about the Maxwell's and Rebecca. I think that she really wants to be one. Sure she is overweight by Steve's standards but she will have as many kids as Joseph or John would want & would be a submissive wife to them.

Someone mentioned the 7 Sisters--they're too with-it for the Maxwells. They've been to Wal-Mart to buy ugly fabric after all!

Poor Joseph! Yes, I think flipping the house and starting over for a new bride would be nice--maybe he could be two to fix up this time?

Reading their blog is as exciting as watching Joseph's concrete dry. And, as worthwhile. All that time and effort on a house he can't live in until he (daddy Steve) finds a suitable wife...they are absolute experts at wasting life.

Someone mentioned the 7 Sisters--they're too with-it for the Maxwells. They've been to Wal-Mart to buy ugly fabric after all!

Poor Joseph! Yes, I think flipping the house and starting over for a new bride would be nice--maybe he could be two to fix up this time?

Or, given that he lives at home for free, he can RENT the house, and sock all the money away into savings, until he can buy another house debt-free, fix it... and slowly build up a landlord empire. At least, I know people who have done this to the extent they make a decent living with a tiny farm plus the rentals. Get really good at managing your own properties then you can also manage absentee owners' properties too for a fee... and then they might sell to you too. Land, baby, land...

But I'm sure that'd just be too worldly of a business for them. Still, if you're not living in a house, definitely might as well make money off of it!

Joseph will continue to live at home until he is married. Teri and Steve spoke at length of the danger of being by oneself. This lack of "accountability" is what leads even moral, upstanding Christians to stray. In other words, in order to maintain some Maxwellian idea of purity, people must always have someone else watching their back. It's also a great way to ensure good behavior. The North Koreans use similar strategies on their own people....

I finally got a to see Joseph's house from the front. Am I the only one who thinks that house is ugly?? I think the family should try to remodel the outside and put something....else. The house will probably end up looking very nice, like their last house they built. Whichever young girl Joseph marries will probably think herself lucky to marry and live inside such a nice house....until she sees how the Maxwell family truly lives. We can only hope that Joseph will marry a girl who convinces Joseph to break away from his family. Either that or no one agrees to marry into such a weird family and Steve's dream of an army of brainwashed grandchildren will come to naught.....

Anna's birthday is today. I hope everyone noticed that in a comment there was a smile!

{yawn} Another year of cooking, cleaning and serving Steve. :( Don't even start hoping for marriage, Anna, as that is so far down the future if at all. Most young women at 20 are at college, working on their career, and building their OWN life.

I noticed that the food for Anna's "Birthday Tea" provided by Melanie was fruit and peanut butter balls. Has ALL sugar now been banned by Steve ----even sugar consumption outside his own house?

I noticed that the food for Anna's "Birthday Tea" provided by Melanie was fruit and peanut butter balls. Has ALL sugar now been banned by Steve ----even sugar consumption outside his own house?

Where the heck are the finger sandwiches? I would have wanted finger sandwiches.

Guest Anonymous

So Anna's birthday celebration was morning tea and peanut balls with the women in the family? And, in fact, only half the women in the family, because of starting and finishing colds, or whatever it was that Sarah was blithering about.

Get thee to a nunnery, Anna, it will be MUCH more fun. :(

Very quickly, Abby asked what kind of tea she wanted. Then, Bethany asked what kind Grandma would want. Anna didn’t know she had been invited for tea, but she deducted it from the conversation.

Steve, you still reading here? The word Sarah is looking for is deduced.

You're welcome. :snooty:

So Anna's birthday celebration was morning tea and peanut balls with the women in the family? And, in fact, only half the women in the family, because of starting and finishing colds, or whatever it was that Sarah was blithering about.

Get thee to a nunnery, Anna, it will be MUCH more fun. :(

I really wish that Anna could have spent her b-day w/ friends her own age. I wonder if any of them think that the reason why Abigail & Bethany seem to get so many colds is the only time they r around other people besides family is when they r w/ the elderly in the nursing home for church.

Archived