IGNORED

Hoarders

lilwriter85

Who else watches this?

At first I didn't like it because I have two aunts that are hoarders. But I can't turn away from it. My most memorable hoarders were Gary, Hanna, Jean and Phyllis.

I watch it whenever I can catch it. It's car-crash type TV, just can't look away. It always inspires me to scrub clean the entire house...

I watch it whenever I can catch it. It's car-crash type TV, just can't look away. It always inspires me to scrub clean the entire house...

It's the same with me. We have similiar shows in Germany and I really have to force myself to look away.

I always feel uncomfortable when I get a "superior" feeling, but boy, the Hoarder shows make me feel like Dolly Domestic, and I am NOBODY's idea of a good housekeeper. I know those people aren't all just bad at cleaning--they have other real, deep-seated issues--but I can't get past the lackadaisical attitude that seems to set in for many of them. "My house is unsafe, there is rotting food in the kitchen and insects and rats feeding on it, and I have to sleep outside in my car because there isn't a vacant surface indoors--but I don't think I'll do anything about it today." I just don't get that; I guess it's real depression of the sort I've never, thankfully, experienced. Some of these people are really sad cases. Everytime I watch I want to go upstairs and throw another box of stuff out of the attic.

I'm like most people in that Hoarders makes me itch and sends me into a cleaning tailspin every time I watch it.

I think the worst episode, hands-down, is Hannah's. All those poor, suffering animals, the dead animals buried under their own shit and/or squashed to death by their cage mates, and all of her horrible children. That is a cycle of stupidity and abuse that will hurt many more people and animals to come. It was just awful - the first episode I ever had to turn off.

Guest Anonymous

I have a hard time watching it because I grew up in a house like that, it was not fun. Not as bad as the worst ones with feces everywhere, but definitely as bad as the ones where there is so much stuff that you barely have a path to walk through. As an adult, with my own house, I am serious about throwing things away. If I don't use it, out it goes.

Some of my siblings and me have tried to help our mother, but it doesn't do any good. As soon as we clear it out she fills it back up. Since I have an awful relationship with her anyway, it stopped being worth it to me to keep trying. I hate going over to her house and I only do it to pick up and drop off my younger sisters.

I watch it, and like many others, it sends me into a cleaning frenzy. In a way, I wouldn't be surprised if my former MIL ended up on that show, as she was a compulsive hoarder, and my ex-husband inherited that disease, which is one of the reasons why I divorced him. Unlike some children of hoarders, my ex-husband was never removed from the home as a child, and I think CPS dropped the ball on that one.

This show is my guilty pleasure. I like to go on FB and discuss the show on the Hoarders FB page. I'm a geek :geek:

I go into a cleaning frenzy too after this show. I've also cleaned out my closet and gotten rid of a bunch of stuff.

Hoarders only affirmed my urge to purge, much to my husband's chagrin (he's a packrat, although not a hoarder!).

I watched the seasons on Netflix and always ended up cleaning afterwords. The showed hit close to home, as my grandmother is a hoarder. She just recently sold a trailor home that she had filled up. It caused a lot of issue with my mom and her siblings, but thankfully she is doing better. My aunt is now keeping an eye on her now that my grandma moved closer after my step grandfather died. She was working on filling his house up too. My mom and her siblings always just thought that she was messy, it wasn't until a hoarding article appeared in a newspaper that they realized she had an actual disorder.

Mom struggles a lot with worrying that she'll start hoarding to the point that growing up she would go on these random cleaning binges and drag my brother on I along with her. Problem was, they weren't consistent and it was more confusing and upsetting for my brother and i than anything.

The new episode was very sad when it came to Ron's story. I felt bad for Carol and I thought it was weird that the show used a picture of ex husband in his coffin.

My favourite story was Steven, the man who had to clean his public-housing studio apartment or be evicted. I liked it because he beat his compulsion and showed such determination to start anew. I'd love to see an update on him.

I had a dear friend who was a hoarder. Wonderful person, but you had to dig paths among the piles of books and newspapers.

I watch it and I end up cleaning my house until it shines, and going through stuff so I can sell things on eBay or donate to the Salvation Army.

Hanna was just vile ('nuff said! :lol: ), so was Betty from season one with her "I got along fine before you, I'll get along fine without you" attitude, and Jill from season one with her logic about saving rotting food made my stomach turn. But the episodes involving kids and animals are the ones that get to me.

I am forever indebted to the show because of this: About a year ago, I had it on and my TSU walked through. He's a terrible packrat, very disorganized. I have contianed his behavior to one room in the house. He stopped, glanced at the goings-on, and sniffed, 'That's made-up.'

He walked on but returned seconds later, fascinated. Said, "That's staged. is that staged?" Watched another few seconds. "Is that real?" he said. I said it supposedly was. Two hours later, his rat's nest was half cleaned up. It's never gotten quite as bad as it was, that night!!!

If you have access to teh webz and TV at the same time, you might enjoy watching an episode while FB'ing with "The Possum From Hoarders." S/he delivers commentary and snarks in real-time which I imagine take the edge of some of the grosser scenes. I don't watch it any more, can't. But I'm so glad I did, that one night!!!

OMG :shock: After reading this thread, I had to see that episode of "Hoarders". Hanna is an evil, evil woman, and I noticed that she went from being an abusive hoarder of children to an abusive hoarder of animals. I'm glad she finally got charged by the State. She is a danger to herself and others and needs to be locked up.

Gary wasn't much better, but at least they were getting counseling at the end.

Hannah was awful but I think that woman who slept in the adult toilet seat every night until she fell over and got trapped was the worst for me. Just the thought of no running water and just throwing your soiled adult diapers in the corner appalls me. I think she was on the update show not too long ago and she's in an assisted facility home and doing great. So that show had a happy ending.

I'm afraid now that I'll suffer some horrible loss and become a hoarder! In reality, I'm pretty good about getting rid of things we don't use but who knows what could happen in the future.

OMG :shock: After reading this thread, I had to see that episode of "Hoarders". Hanna is an evil, evil woman, and I noticed that she went from being an abusive hoarder of children to an abusive hoarder of animals. I'm glad she finally got charged by the State. She is a danger to herself and others and needs to be locked up.

Gary wasn't much better, but at least they were getting counseling at the end.

I remember Gary..he was a total asshat and his wife was such a doormat, she should've had the word "Welcome" tattooed on her forehead.

Hanna= 80 kinds of batshit crazy. I'm still curious as to what a "cotton-pickin', ridge-runnin', stump-jumper" is, though :think:

And remember Nadene? "I don't have a pickle! I'm in a pickle!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLzkGHZpgw

I think Hanna and Gary were probably the worst hoarders on the show. Gordon, Gaye and their kids were also really awful. I suspected that something was off with the daughter and I couldn't believe they got their cats back after the cats had been living in feces filled crates.

The only person I really felt sorry for on the show was Glenn the rat guy,

I've never watched the show (heard of it, and heard about an episode with a doll hoarder), so I googled 'Hanna hoarders' to find out. As a child I was a lot like the emotionally involved posters in the Amy Winehouse thread, particularly about animals. I try to be practical about it these days, but the photos of guinea fowl in cages got to me :( I really like guinea fowl.

Between the Hoarders shows (A&E and another network) and a couple of books on minimalism, I've ended up donating about fifteen boxes of clothes, kitchen equipment, etc. to our local gay and lesbian health center's resale shop.

It's SO EASY to just let the crap pile up. We've lived in our house for eleven years and in that time, had two kids. It's a little city house, but somehow we never got rid of the stuff we didn't need and then we added two more (little) people and their assorted stuff. I fight a continuing battle against clutter. But it's just clutter, not filth, thank heavens.

Hannah was awful but I think that woman who slept in the adult toilet seat every night until she fell over and got trapped was the worst for me. Just the thought of no running water and just throwing your soiled adult diapers in the corner appalls me. I think she was on the update show not too long ago and she's in an assisted facility home and doing great. So that show had a happy ending.

I'm afraid now that I'll suffer some horrible loss and become a hoarder! In reality, I'm pretty good about getting rid of things we don't use but who knows what could happen in the future.

The woman who slept in the adult toilet seat and got trapped was Judi. I understand that when she was trapped she was wearing a Snuggie, so I guess it's safe to say that she was wearing a Snuggie and a Huggie when she was found. I'm going to hell for that one lol.

Gordon, Gaye and their kids were also really awful. I suspected that something was off with the daughter and I couldn't believe they got their cats back after the cats had been living in feces filled crates.

Something about Gordon and Gaye made me wonder if the family tree ever forked, if you know what I mean. ;) And yes I'm aware that I'll be going to hell for that one too. :twisted:

It's the same with me. We have similiar shows in Germany and I really have to force myself to look away.

*wave* Which shows do you watch, if you do not mind telling? I am in desperate need of some housekeeping encouragment and have been through "How clean is your house" and "Horaders" by now, at least those episodes I could find online.

I must confess I love this show. It actually makes me feel happy...crazy, I know. I suffer from a multitude of debilitating illnesses and still have a house of kids to take care of, so when I watch a Hoarders episode I feel alot better about my house and life in general. The kids have constant messes around and we are constantly having to de-clutter to stay on top of things. Hoarders has helped me see that as a person who has to stay at home all the time I need to be vigilant to not keep too much stuff and not have too many animals for company. Very good for me.

• 3 months later...

I watch this show for one reason. I'm bad at getting stuff clean, this show inspires me to bleach ALL the things.

My inlaws are hoarders. Its awful. I pray my mother in law does not die fist. She is the only one keeping him a little in check. Their house is a mess and I, the adhd queen am saying this. Every time they come over they have bags full of garage sale "treasures" that they make me feel guilty about refusing to take used tupperware.

Archived