IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

Let's discuss Kody, Janelle, Meri, Christine and Robyn!

First off? I wish Janelle, Meri and Christine would leave Kody. The real show, and interesting part has ALWAYS been their dynamic. Robyn can go suck an egg for all I care. She drives me batty.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have watched the show only a few times. Kody strikes me as a vain wuss. Seriously, if I had to choose, (thanks be to God I don't) I'd pick Jim-Bob over Kody.

As for Robyn, I get the feeling she thinks she's the cover girl wife. That show made me feel really dirty, actually, and I can't really say why. I just say, blech.

Guest Anonymous

Kody needs some deep conditioning. I have a secret hope that Meri finally says FU and starts her own life.

I said it before on TWoP but I'll say it again - Robyn's profile reminds me of the outline of Montana.

I said it before on TWoP but I'll say it again - Robyn's profile reminds me of the outline of Montana.

Is it me or is Robyn ditzy Nikki?

Is it me or is Robyn ditzy Nikki?

Nikki had dimension and depth of character.

Robyn is just blah.

The thing that fascinates me about the Browns is how they are mainstream in a lot of ways, yet fundie in others, like Mekelti (spelling? I guessed) and modesty. I wonder if they do Family Home Evening?

This show is my guilty pleasure.

I feel like Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be so much happier outside of polygamy, but they don't seem to realize that. I get that a communal life is a appealing, but you don't all have to be married to the same man to live a communal life. And I do NOT understand what any of them see in Kody.

Also, I love the older kids. Especially since I started reading their twitters.

This show is my guilty pleasure.

I feel like Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be so much happier outside of polygamy, but they don't seem to realize that. I get that a communal life is a appealing, but you don't all have to be married to the same man to live a communal life. And I do NOT understand what any of them see in Kody.

Also, I love the older kids. Especially since I started reading their twitters.

They have twitters?! Can you link please? :D

They have twitters?! Can you link please? :D

Yep, all four wives and the three oldest daughters have twitters.

Meri - http://twitter.com/#!/MeriBrown1

Janelle - http://twitter.com/#!/JanelleBrown117

Christine - http://twitter.com/#!/rosecolored6

Robyn - http://twitter.com/#!/LuvgvsUwngs

Mariah - http://twitter.com/#!/mariahlian

Madison - http://twitter.com/#!/maddierbrown

Aspyn - http://twitter.com/#!/AspynBrown

I love this post from Aspyn. It gives me a lot hope for the kids in this family (much more so than the fundie families we discuss): "That awkward moment when your baby sister says oh shit...#imsobusted"

• 4 weeks later...

So I was reading the Brown family twitters and Mariah tweeted somebody who I am going to assume is her teacher asking about an "AP assignment for next year". So it looks like Mariah is keeping with public school and rigorous class load. She might make it to Annapolis after all.

This is why I vastly prefer the Browns to the Duggars (or pretty much any fundie family we follow). The family dynamic are fucked up and Kody is a complete tool, but there kids clearly have not had life beaten out of them and will be given a chance to succeed, because they are being given a proper education. And clearly, if Mariah is in an AP class, she must either be smart or hardworking.

Exactly. IIRC, Mariah is the more religious of the kids and was the one who didn't like public school at first. If she's into AP classes then she must have found something good to be had at public school. I'm glad that the Brown kids are getting an education, and while they are being raised fundie Mormon, it doesn't seem like they will be pressured to enter plural marriages. In fact, some have said on the show that they don't want to.

I like that Merri stated (I don't know which episode) that she hopes that all the kids do what they want even if it's not following their family's religion. The kids seem happy and mainstream.

I just started following the Browns on Twitter so I haven't learned much yet. Have they said anything about how their new living situation is working out for all of them? At the end of the last season, Meri and Christine liked having their own homes. Christine kind of surprised me because she has been the stay at home mom for everyone and was adamant that she have access to all the children when they moved to Las Vegas. I can see Meri liking her new separate house; she can always go visit the other wives and children, but then she can go home and enjoy the quiet. Have any of them mentioned how things are going?

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the Browns are in Boston-area touring colleges, specifically Harvard, MIT, and Tufts.

Honestly, I hope they don't show tape this for the show. The kids should be allowed to look at colleges in peace without the whole world staring down their necks. The process is stressful enough as it is.

Although I'm not surprised the Browns (at least the wives, I don't know what to think about Kody) approve of college for all their children (as opposed to the Duggars and most protestant fundies who seem to think college is the most abhorrent thing on the face of the earth), but I am surprised at the caliber of the schools they are looking at. Honestly, if the kids are smart and lucky (because you don't get into Harvard without a little luck) enough to get in, then all the power to them. Mostly, I hope they have a fulfilling college experience wherever it should be.

But seriously, can you imagine the Duggar girls even considering MIT of all places?

I can't help but like the Browns (minus Kody and Robyn), even though I think they would be happier without polygamy. Kody might be a dumbass famewhore, but the first three wives seem to want the best for their children.

I think that's why I like them despite everything. They're fundies, but the good kind. I really don't think the kids are being abused at all, and they place importance on education. They seem as normal as they can be, given their lifestyle (and the fact that they chose to be on a reality show).

I like the first 3 wives... actually I really like Janelle, then Christine, then Meri. I don't have much respect for Robin.

The first 3 (because it has been so long) have gelled together and work in a way that benefits them all. They really do want the family. Robin, although being from a poly family, spent 8 years married with no other wife. Whether she admits it or not, she want Kody to herself.

I really think Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be happier in monogymous marriage, but with them continuing to be good friends.

I seriously doubt any of the kids will get into the colleges mentioned, since they have been either homeschooled or church schooled until this last year or so. Maybe they have had a better education than I think, though. I'd love to see them in a great school, and out in the real world.

I like the first 3 wives... actually I really like Janelle, then Christine, then Meri. I don't have much respect for Robin.

The first 3 (because it has been so long) have gelled together and work in a way that benefits them all. They really do want the family. Robin, although being from a poly family, spent 8 years married with no other wife. Whether she admits it or not, she want Kody to herself.

I really think Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be happier in monogymous marriage, but with them continuing to be good friends.

I seriously doubt any of the kids will get into the colleges mentioned, since they have been either homeschooled or church schooled until this last year or so. Maybe they have had a better education than I think, though. I'd love to see them in a great school, and out in the real world.

I think it's quite possible that they have a better education than you think, because it seems as though they are taking AP classes in school. At least Mariah and Aspyn are. I still don't think it's likely they'll get into any of the colleges mentioned (because they are all insanely hard to get into) but I feel relatively confident that they could get into a pretty elite school.

• 2 weeks later...

Homeschoolers are becoming more common at Ivy League universities. Some of them are actively recruiting from the homeschool community. I have homeschooling friends whose children went to Yale, Brown and Stanford. Not uncommon at all.

Homeschoolers are becoming more common at Ivy League universities. Some of them are actively recruiting from the homeschool community. I have homeschooling friends whose children went to Yale, Brown and Stanford. Not uncommon at all.

Also, all the kids are in public school now, so it's kind of a moot point.

Not relevant to you emmiedahl, but relevant to my obsession with the Brown family. I found Mariah's tumblr. I love it.

I'm not sure how these kids turned out so well adjusted, considering I think their father is a huge douchebag, but they did.

Archived