Only two episodes have been released to the world through hulu, but I know I'm not going to be able to take my eyes off this trainwreck for a while. Gizmola?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh thank goodness somebody started a thread on this. I've been looking for someone to discuss the trainwreck with. OK, first of all, classic abusive relationship. The moms don't like how Abby treats their kids . . . but they won't stand up to her even thought they pay her salary? I mean I realize PIttsburgh is not exactly a hotbed of professional dance and there probably aren't many places they can go but still. If she's making you and your daughter cry, and you are asking out loud on national TV what it's doing to her psyche, WHY ARE YOU STAYING?

Also, Abby needs a reality check. Yeah, Rockettes and Broadway dancers work long hours. Guess what? They also have a union, mandated breaks and meals, and in some cases health insurance, which doesn't really make up for the crappy pay but that's what you get for being an artist. Telling a little girl that she can't go home to eat dinner (or implying that she's a loser if she does) because that's "not how it works in the real world" just breaks my heart and is SO wrong.

This show makes me angrier than Toddlers and Tiaras. There are a lot of similarities between the two sets of parents but this show makes TnT look tame by comparison.

This show was my life. The show hits the nail on the head. I've never seen it from the outside looking in and I thought it was less crazy than toddlers and tiaras. The pyramid does go on rather you see it or not at least she was up front.

I watched both of the episodes on Hulu, and I'm hooked. The moms are insane. I thought it was really upsetting when Chloe's mom accidentally burned her with the curling iron. Yes, it was an accident, but maybe if she hadn't been drinking right before, she would have been more cognizant of where her daughter was in relation to the curling iron. I don't like Abby much, but I agreed that the drinking was inappropriate. Save it for later.

The mom that is a mystery to me is Nia's mom. She isn't the type of person who I think would be a famewhore. I rolled my eyes a bit at her bragging about her CMU degree. I bet she's a pain in the ass to work for.

Candy Apple mom is nuts. I hate the way she says Vivi. Why didn't they go with Vivian instead of Vivi Anne. Vivi sounds like a poodle. That said, I think Vivi would be much happier playing sports than dancing. Even though she's only six, I'm not sure she has the skill or the body type for a competition level dancer. Maybe that will change as she gets older, but she didn't seem that into it.

I am a dance teacher. I'd never talk to my students this way, dress them that way, or accept a student whose parent expected me to. Eventually, you learn dance comes from the soul. Dance should enhance your life, not hurt it. I hate this show. It belittles dance. Dance comes from the soul. It is not all about performing. Pity, really, because these girls, from what little I've seen, are good athletes, and have some great moves, but it mistakes passion for famewhoring. Anyway, that's my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I knew there would be a thread about this. There's a marathon on right now, and I've been watching all afternoon.

Abby is nuts. But she's upfront about being nuts. All of the parents know how she is, but they keep sending their kids and their money to her anyway. If she's that awful...LEAVE.

So, the 4th episode was removed from Lifetime's website. I am dying to know if there is some drama.

Tons of drama in the 4th episode.

Basically, all of the girls get solos for the competition. The moms start griping because Maddie gets private lessons and the other girls don't get practice time. (I'm pretty sure it was said in a previous episode that Maddie's mom Melissa schedules private lessons for the studio...) Then Maddie gets 2 solos, which upsets Chloe's mom Christi. Then there's a whole thing between the moms, mostly Kelly and Melissa because she (Melissa) is responsible for getting the girls' music and it's 8:30 pm the night before the competition and Paige has never heard her music. The moms are upset that the night before the competition they are doing a tumbling class instead of running solos. They say their kids are being set up to fail. Melissa complains to Abby about the other moms, who basically says they're not going to run solos, she's teaching them how to dance so they can go into any audition and learn a routine. She tells the camera the moms have no faith in their daughters.

At the competition Paige freezes in the middle of her dance and forgets it. Abby says to the camera it's never happened to her in 25 years and Paige should be embarrassed (she might have said humiliated, I forgot.) Paige runs off in tears. Kelly tells Paige it's not her fault, she didn't even have her music until 12 hours ago. Chloe makes some mistakes and her mom is upset. Of course Maddie wins, and afterwards Christi is yelling at Abby and Melissa. Abby tells everyone to ignore her, don't let her ruin the day, but Maddie is in tears. Abby picks up an empty wine bottle and waves it at Christi. She threatens to take away Chloe's national title. Melissa storms out with her daughters. It ended sort of abruptly there.

And then there's Cathy, who may or may not actually be crazy, but she sure plays crazy well on TV...

(A friend told me that some news/talk shows have been showing the clip of Maddie crying and criticizing the show. Maybe that's why they pulled it, I don't know, I haven't actually seen the shows she told me about.)

ETA: I found this clip from Entertainment Tonight

So, the 4th episode was removed from Lifetime's website. I am dying to know if there is some drama.

Hulu says its been pulled for "legal issues". This sparked my curiosity, and I found the episiode on youtube. The sound isn't good since it looks like someone just recorded their tv but its all there, for now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaityluvstv ... eJE8zK00bE

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaityluvstv ... F5yECCok_E

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaityluvstv ... GCkHlAhFwI

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaityluvstv ... pY1i9V8XpA

ETA: Looks like the last part is missing, including the blow up is missing.

I wonder if there was an issue with not getting the right licencing for some of the music used in the competition.

I really don't like Vivi Anne's mom. I get the impression that she is there because Lifetime wants her to be, but even so, what she is doing to that poor child is terrible. Children need to participate in the team dynamic if they are on a team. They need to stay and watch the other kids. Most kids learn a lot from watching others. And if yor child isn't interested in something, and she or he does show interest in, say, softball, why not cater to her interests. Instead this six year old child is being forced into living her mothers dream, which is creepy and weird and very hard to watch.

It looks like they fixed whatever problem there was initially with the episode. I watched it on demand last night. CRAZY.

I really don't like Vivi Anne's mom. I get the impression that she is there because Lifetime wants her to be, but even so, what she is doing to that poor child is terrible. Children need to participate in the team dynamic if they are on a team. They need to stay and watch the other kids. Most kids learn a lot from watching others. And if yor child isn't interested in something, and she or he does show interest in, say, softball, why not cater to her interests. Instead this six year old child is being forced into living her mothers dream, which is creepy and weird and very hard to watch.

I found this show yesterday on On Demand. I'll go back and rewatch the 4th episode to see what happens at the end.

Poor little Vivi. She either has mediocre talent or lack of interest... I'm guessing both. If she was wise, she would be plotting to get out of the pink bunny palace. Her mother is a nightmare (although I'd take her over Chloe's mom anyday. That woman is one glass of white wine away from being a fall down drunk.)

I think I would prefer Chloe's mom. She may be a drunk, but she loves her daughter. I don't think Cathy sees Vivi-Anne as anything other than an accessory to parade around...kind of like her Mercedes.

My niece danced for a studio that competed with Candy Apple Dance Company often, usually at Dance Masters of Ohio. She knows Cathy Nesbitt-Stein and said that what we see on TV isn't an act. She is just that nuts, but she actually is respected among dance people in Ohio. I would think that a dance teacher would be able to recognize the students that just don't have the skill or the desire, but she seems to be blind when it comes to Vivi-Anne.

oh, how i love this insane show!

Cathy does seem to be blind to vivi-anne's talents. I like her, though. i like eccentricity.

I don't think christi and kelly are drunks. i have to admit, if i was them, i would not have gone to the bar before competition, as in an early episode, but if i'd been sent out with flyers, you can bet your bippy i'd have had a boozey break. that was so totally me.

abby seems to be getting more likeable as the season goes on. the first episode, she was appalling, but she seems to be getting less so as time goes on. For sure, i have issues with her, but her editing in ep 1 was terrible.

eta: a poster on TWOP is calling cathy a "cracked out sandy duncan". BWAH HA HAAA. that is SO fittin'.

I definitely prefer Cristi to Cathy. Sometimes I think Cristi shouldn't make some of her comments in front of Chloe, but this is the show they agreed to be on, and there is apparently sniping in the story Lifetime is telling. Plus, Chloe would see it on TV eventually, and, she's 10 years old, she knows what's going on. At least Chloe seems like dancing and wants to be there.

I had hoped Cathy was acting out for the cameras. She probably is, despite what people say about her IRL. It seemed like Abby's reaction to her "solo" in the dance showcase indicated it was not really a surprise, if not planned. I really enjoyed Kelly's comment wishing her luck in Auntie Mame, haha.

Maybe Vivi-Anne would enjoy beauty pageants. She could do her little bumble bee dance in the talent competition. TLC should call and snag them for Toddlers & Tiaras.

What bugs me about the moms on this show is that none of them seem to realize that the odds of any of their children (even Maddie)being "discovered" are slim to none. With the way the show is edited, it looks like the girls don't have anything in their lives outside of dance. No school, no other activities - just dance and singing lessons to further the moms' ambition to get each of them on Broadway.

Why does Vivi-Anne have to be at the studio five days a week when she is only six? Can't she take dance classes twice a week and then play softball or soccer? Even the older ones like Maddie could benefit from an extracurricular activity outside of dance. I hope that what we are seeing isn't even close to a complete picture of their lives. I hope that when the show isn't filming the girls are in school and doing other things.

And, because it hasn't been said yet, free Brooke!

I guess the kids on this show are at the level of elite gymnasts? It's like they're going to the Olympics so this needs to be their only activity. On the one hand, the kids ARE on a TV show, which I guess ups the chances they'll get noticed, so in a way the moms' behavior is justified. On the other, their moms come along with them.

It reminds me of this other show years ago that I think was on Bravo, Sports Kids Moms & Dads. There was a girl who was a cheerleader and dancer. I remember at one point she was exhausted and got sick, but they stilled showed her mom taking her to all her practices because she was committed to 2 teams and had competitions.

I can understand them not having another activity now, but where I think the moms are delusional is in thinking the girls will want to do this at this level 2 or 5 or 10 years down the road.

(I think in the first episode someone mentioned the only practice this much during competition season? Hopefully that is the case.)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a small interview with Cathy.

http://www.cantonrep.com/entertainment/ ... ality-show

Q. Do you feel that the editing on “Dance Moms†exaggerates what really happened?

A. What happened is what gets on TV. I’m not sitting there going, “That didn’t happen!†There were moments, and they are captured in the way that they went down.

Q. The clips I saw online are filled with such drama.

A. They are, but if we were doing a show about midget league football, you’d be seeing the same feelings and emotions go down.

And in tonight's episode she said Nia's "ethic" solos are starting to, "not be politically correct." Uh, ok.

They're all a big bowl of crazy. I can't imagine acting in any of the ways they do, but one of my kids was involved in competitive sports at a high level, and I saw this sort of behavior in some parents. Still don't understand it. Still don't like it. Still want to just reach through the screen and slap a few upside the head now and then.

I know (from other reality TV participants) they're likely told to react to what the others say/do, for the sake of drama, but they're only exaggerating their normal behavior. So maybe they wouldn't be quite as crazy without the cameras, but they'd still be cat-fighting in front of their kids, making nasty comments about each other's kids (and each other), and behaving inappropriately (drinking in the bar during a competition??!! Really??!!).

Ugh. Just...ugh.

And while Nia's mom seems like she's trying a little too hard to be a "brown Barbie," I get her resentment on Abby's stereotyping of her daughter. Maybe she doesn't WANT Nia to be offered ethnic roles, the same way that many A-A actors will refuse to play maids and gardeners. Surely Abby is talented enough as a teacher and choreographer to showcase Nia's talents without playing the "race card." I'd be annoyed, too, if Abby kept pushing that on my kid after I said no.

I think that Holly (that's Nia's mom, right?) was also (mostly?) offended that on top of the sterotypical costume, the cheap wig, and the music, Nia's dance was barely a dance. And the fact that it wasn't just one of those things. It was a combination and the whole thing seemed really weird to me. And it seems to me that Holly has more sense than a lot of the other moms. She kind of stays out of the drama, she doesn't sit around gossiping and when Cathy tried to engage her in some sort of conversation that could have gone really badly, she just ignored her.

Poor Vivi-Anne. Her mom is a big ole pile of crazy. I hope Vivi is smart enough to NOT grown into someone who blames everyone else for every thing.

Archived