IGNORED

College - It's Not Your Decision, Kendal!

Spartan89

Kendal has said about fifty billion times that her girls won't be going to college, which strikes me as so arrogant and presumptive. It's like she doesn't realize that 18-year-olds can choose to go to college without a parent's permission. It looks like she has her girls going to homeschool co-op and other activities, so how does she know they won't be interested in college when their friends start talking about it? I went to a homeschool co-op during my high school years, and the vast majority of those kids ended up going to college. This wasn't a secular co-op either - it was pretty fundie. I bet she thinks if she "keeps her children's hearts" they won't want to go to school. Think again! My parents and I had (and still have) a great relationship, and they wanted me to stay at home and take community college classes. I decided that wasn't for me and headed away from home to a big state school instead. Although they did not financially support me, I was able to get plenty of financial aid and loans to cover the cost of tuition and living.

Kendal, if your girls want to go, they will! When they're adults it's their decision. Stop being so arrogant in thinking you have their lives all planned out fifteen years or so in advance.

www.thefatherknowsbest.com/2012/08/moth ... -them.html

Ken Dull :x

$*%@ #$)% @)*#$ #)$*@

Words cannpt describe what a total oxygen thief she is.

My oldest daughter begs to take care of her younger brother. I was hesitant at first but I decided to go ahead and let her do what her heart desired. She can change his diaper, put him down for a nap, feed him, etc.. She does it with such joy and excitement! It's precious!

No Ken Dull, it is NOT precious. It is sad that your sorry, lazy ass cannot mother your own children. I can only pray to the baby Jesus that no adoption agency would place a child in your home. I wouldn't even place a foster animal in your home. Why don't you let her follow her heart's desire and go to college when she is older? I can assure you she will want to escape you and your husband with your all day spanking sessions.

What a worthless twit.

God, I despise that woman!

Of all the fundie bloggers I read, Kendal is the one who seems to get most under my skin. In posts such as this her arrogance and selfishness just reek.

As you know, we will not be sending our girls away to college. {I don't want to make this a debate on the subject, I'm just sharing our vision} During the 4 years that they would potentially be away we will instead be preparing them for their life as a wife and mother. I do not want those precious 4 years to be wasted sitting in a college classroom taking notes.

Why is is it her and her husband's decision whether her girls go away to college? Is it not the choice of the individual daughter? I suspect none of her daughter's will go to college. I suspect she will do all she can during those 18 years at home to scare them away from the evil college. Even if she doesn't scare him away, given what she posts about how little time, energy and money she feels should be spent on educating, I doubt they would be able to get any in anyway. She flat out stated she wasn't educating them t be brain surgeons.

I also don't understand her constant ranting on not being prepared to be a homemaker. By the time I was 18, even with going to public school, I more or less knew how to take care of myself. I could do laundry, cook, clean, ect. I don't have kids, but from siblings and relatives who have had them, they all seemed to figure it out on their own, despite their education.

Finally, I spent 4 years in college and 5 1/2 years in grad school. I don't consider one day of that to be a waste. Neither do my parents. Of course they think raising their daughter with the potential to be a scientist was a good thing. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Guest Anonymous

Theres a quote a few pages back that says “If your children know Saxon Math better than the Proverbs, they are not being properly educated.†-Kevin Swanson

WTF? Thats a lot of proverbs to know and even if you did make them read the proverbs everyday (which by the way, I thought was boring when I was a kid) why should that be more important than learning math?

The women would only succeed in this if she can prevent her children from engaging with more mainstream fundies. If she continues to allow her children in that co-op or exposure to other children, by the time her children are teens, they would have heard an earful of the positives of attending college. Kendal may talk about "not sending" the girls to college as if it's decision but she may not realize that once the child is grown, there is no law that can prevent them from going.

I wonder if Kendal just doesn't realize that college students can get loans on their own, and attend college without parental permission or support? Maybe the women doesn't realize that and thinks she can ban her kids from college by simply not funding for it? I wonder if she understands how popular the college option is even among fundie families? The Maxwells and Duggars are fairly successful at brainwashing their kids into the anti-college attitude, but they also isolate their children more. I can't imagine the Maxwells going near a homeschooling co-op. Heaven forbid their kids mingle with nonMaxwell children! Once children are exposed to other children, new ideas will filter through. All the excitement about college exhibited by older children will make Kendal's own children rethink their mother's plan for their future.

Of all the fundie bloggers I read, Kendal is the one who seems to get most under my skin. In posts such as this her arrogance and selfishness just reek.

Why is is it her and her husband's decision whether her girls go away to college? Is it not the choice of the individual daughter? I suspect none of her daughter's will go to college. I suspect she will do all she can during those 18 years at home to scare them away from the evil college. Even if she doesn't scare him away, given what she posts about how little time, energy and money she feels should be spent on educating, I doubt they would be able to get any in anyway. She flat out stated she wasn't educating them t be brain surgeons.

I also don't understand her constant ranting on not being prepared to be a homemaker. By the time I was 18, even with going to public school, I more or less knew how to take care of myself. I could do laundry, cook, clean, ect. I don't have kids, but from siblings and relatives who have had them, they all seemed to figure it out on their own, despite their education.

Finally, I spent 4 years in college and 5 1/2 years in grad school. I don't consider one day of that to be a waste. Neither do my parents. Of course they think raising their daughter with the potential to be a scientist was a good thing. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm with you. Kendull just seems to drive me extra bonkers. First of all, of course, the decision to seek higher education belongs to her children, NOT HER. And the fundie nose-in-the-air business about education is like sand grinding between my teeth. Education is never a waste - it is a precious gift. When I worked with immigrant women, our agency always encouraged them to do whatever they could to get any education they could - ESL, CNA training, GED, all the way through college and grad school, is she could. My boss always said, "Your education is yours, no one can ever take it from you." That Kendull (who got to go to college, BTW) would deny this to her girl children is just sickening. Oh, and the whole homemaker preparation thing again. Like Twin2 said, somehow I managed to go to class all week, then cook three meals from scratch, clean and vacuum the living room, unload and load the dishwasher, AND post on FJ today! :lol:

Kendal has been to college. She profited from said degree at one point. Her husband has also been to college and I am assuming that is how he procured the job he has now.

Kendal will one day find out that this is not her decision. She has made her choice and her daughters will make theirs. She can "envision" whatever the fuck she wants, but we have laws that say that she doesn't get a vote.

I'm in the middle of having a panic about student debt and quite miserable about it, but even with that, not once has the thought crossed my mind that I shouldn't have bothered with uni (or college, or a student exchange, and I'm even still hoping to go on to grad school). It's so completely the opposite of a waste -- of money, of time, whatever. It's all worth it.

I think this new anti college attitude amongst the college educated fundies is due to their reaction against the evil feminists who are pushing for women participating in male fields. It's not that they think girls cant learn to cook and clean when they think about college it's that the mindset may tip them over to become career women and decide to take charge of their life....what happens if they are not happy being submissive because this college path trained them to be independent minded?!

well, it will swing again with politics, but |I truly hope her kids tell her to fuck off and go off to get educations. It really makes me feel ill that these people thing that no education if a good education. You can learn to run a household AND get a career.

Ugh! Second all of your sentiments that this the daughter's decision and not this self-righteous idiot's. My point is however that this lady Kendal obviously doesn't understand what's so great about college. Education is not about sitting down and taking page after page of notes (although at times that's what it feels like). My favorite author John Green recently said in a youtube video that "Humans are all stupid but with education we can learn to be less stupid together." Couldn't agree more. When you go to college you get exposed to a variety of new ideas, people, and situations. You learn all of this cool and interesting stuff. And all this cool and interesting stuff accumulates and makes you a more informed citizen of the world which in turn helps you to make better decisions about everything in your life and makes you a better person as a whole. I sincerely hope that when I graduate from college that (besides getting into law school) I will be a better and more informed person than I was when I walked in. This lady clearly doesn't see the value in that.

Kind of OT.

I'm sure she lives somewhere sunny. Maybe just the lighting on her photo, but those kids are well tanned!

Kendal has been to college. She profited from said degree at one point. Her husband has also been to college and I am assuming that is how he procured the job he has now.

Kendal will one day find out that this is not her decision. She has made her choice and her daughters will make theirs. She can "envision" whatever the fuck she wants, but we have laws that say that she doesn't get a vote.

The horrible thing is, it probably will end up being her decision, yet she will not suffer the consequences and the girls probably will.

(Not that there are any consequences in not going to college if you are otherwise gainfully educated or employed. But there probably will be when your only skill is looking after your baby brother.)

I think that unless Kendal's daughters have an extraordinary amount of independence, bravery, fortitude - Kendal (via her headship) HAS made the decision for them. Kendal has said many times that she does not plan to educate her daughters for college. Every day in every way she teaches her daughters that they CAN'T do what their brothers can. If her daughters do want more than to be a wife/mother, then they will have to find a way to learn all the stuff Kendal has edited from their education AND they will have to find a way to overcome years of brainwashing. Kendal has chosen to bind and shackle her daughters and it will be hard for them to escape that prison.

I think that unless Kendal's daughters have an extraordinary amount of independence, bravery, fortitude - Kendal (via her headship) HAS made the decision for them. Kendal has said many times that she does not plan to educate her daughters for college. Every day in every way she teaches her daughters that they CAN'T do what their brothers can. If her daughters do want more than to be a wife/mother, then they will have to find a way to learn all the stuff Kendal has edited from their education AND they will have to find a way to overcome years of brainwashing. Kendal has chosen to bind and shackle her daughters and it will be hard for them to escape that prison.

I think it will be hard for Kendull's daughter's to overcome this because remember, Kendull will have day long spanking sessions to train them if they show any resistance to what she is trying to teach. 18 years of being beat and beat down would take the will away from most people.

I could be wrong but does anyone else believe that Kendull is only putting on a show for the adoption agency and once they have a child, she will stop doing a lot of the things she has been doing that make her appear almost "normal"? I can't believe that Kendull will allow her daughters to be in a co op for very long because in just a few years she will meet girls who are planning on going to college. I imagine that the first time that happens, Kendull will say no more, and they will stop going.

I could be wrong but does anyone else believe that Kendull is only putting on a show for the adoption agency and once they have a child, she will stop doing a lot of the things she has been doing that make her appear almost "normal"? I can't believe that Kendull will allow her daughters to be in a co op for very long because in just a few years she will meet girls who are planning on going to college. I imagine that the first time that happens, Kendull will say no more, and they will stop going.

**raises hand**

That's exactly what she's doing. Too bad they can't read what she wrote here about "not liking children who aren't spanked".

+1

Just like Steve and Teri Maxwell claim their children choose not to go to college, choose not to date, choose to live at home until marriage, etc. We all know the children did not actually get a choice, although they would probably swear they did. Same with Kendal's girls. How sad to purposely hobble your children.

+1

Just like Steve and Teri Maxwell claim their children choose not to go to college, choose not to date, choose to live at home until marriage, etc. We all know the children did not actually get a choice, although they would probably swear they did. Same with Kendal's girls. How sad to purposely hobble your children.

Hi all, and nice to meet those I haven't yet.

Just wanted to say that I could not agree with this more. This is, sadly, what some people who watch those reality shows don't seem to get. Of course the kids seem happy. They have been trained since birth that there is NO acceptable alternative to happy. There is NO acceptable choice other than the stunted ones their parents give them (if they're lucky).

When someone starts training you as an infant that you can only go where they say you can (don't leave that blanket!), that all of the opportunities for peace, for self esteem, for tranquility, for feeling loved -- all of these opportunities are dependent on doing exactly (and only) what your parents say.....when ALL OF THE POWER in your life comes from Ma and Pa (and don't even get me going on how "un-Godly THAT little bit of arrogance is).......yes after a while you are going to conform and stuff every feeling that doesn't aid you to that end.

When I think of these kids I think of how bound feet look on a Chinese woman -- stunted, gnarly and grown into a painful and unnatural state to conform to someone else's ideal of beauty and acceptability.

The worst thing about the anti-intellectualism among so many fundies is not the denial of college to their children – and especially the girls – but rather their general disdain for learning of any kind. Even their understanding of the Bible often seems piecemeal.

In short, they haven't learned how to learn. They merely gather concepts from those whom they consider their betters, but have no clue as to how to critically examine this information to determine whether or not it's true. And worse, they have no idea how to build on what little knowledge they have: They lack the skill to advance their understanding through personal study. (Jasmine, whatever one might think of her politics, is one obvious exception. She gathers knowledge as a matter of habit – a habit both her parents drummed into her as part of their effort to turn her into an educated mother capable of training both daughters and sons.)

College was wasted on Kendall. She obviously learned nothing by it. Hell; I'm not sure she learns from her triumphs or her mistakes or from anything else that has ever happened to her. She has locked herself into a single course and she will follow it, like an automaton, right 'til its end - good or bad.

These aren't the people who will “take dominion†of the world.

The worst thing about the anti-intellectualism among so many fundies is not the denial of college to their children – and especially the girls – but rather their general disdain for learning of any kind. Even their understanding of the Bible often seems piecemeal.

In short, they haven't learned how to learn. They merely gather concepts from those whom they consider their betters, but have no clue as to how to critically examine this information to determine whether or not it's true. And worse, they have no idea how to build on what little knowledge they have: They lack the skill to advance their understanding through personal study. (Jasmine, whatever one might think of her politics, is one obvious exception. She gathers knowledge as a matter of habit – a habit both her parents drummed into her as part of their effort to turn her into an educated mother capable of training both daughters and sons.)

College was wasted on Kendall. She obviously learned nothing by it. Hell; I'm not sure she learns from her triumphs or her mistakes or from anything else that has ever happened to her. She has locked herself into a single course and she will follow it, like an automaton, right 'til its end - good or bad.

These aren't the people who will “take dominion†of the world.

Gigantifying mine.

The hell of it is, Burris, that while THEY won't "take dominion" of the world, they'll think they did when the Fundie Elite get voted into office. As we know, exceptions are made for the Fundie Elite--their boys will go to top-notch universities and get introduced to the right-wing powers that be. And then people like Kendull will be convinced that they, themselves, have achieved something--when they're actually just the sheep that follow people like Paul Ryan.

Gigantifying mine.

The hell of it is, Burris, that while THEY won't "take dominion" of the world, they'll think they did when the Fundie Elite get voted into office. As we know, exceptions are made for the Fundie Elite--their boys will go to top-notch universities and get introduced to the right-wing powers that be. And then people like Kendull will be convinced that they, themselves, have achieved something--when they're actually just the sheep that follow people like Paul Ryan.

And THAT, if you'll pardon my French, scares the fuck out of me.

Hopefully if the girls want to go to college one day, they'll find a way. Even if they are able to be stay at home moms, I hope they have some job skill in case something happens to their husbands-extended illness, accident etc. I know a very nice lady who has been a homemaker for years and has recently had to begin working at home when her husband became disabled. LUckily, she has some business/accounting skills and was able to get a job. Her husband is getting better and may be able to return to work within a few months, but thanks to her skills, they aren't on welfare.

Hopefully if the girls want to go to college one day, they'll find a way. Even if they are able to be stay at home moms, I hope they have some job skill in case something happens to their husbands-extended illness, accident etc. I know a very nice lady who has been a homemaker for years and has recently had to begin working at home when her husband became disabled. LUckily, she has some business/accounting skills and was able to get a job. Her husband is getting better and may be able to return to work within a few months, but thanks to her skills, they aren't on welfare.

That is one of the things I always point out. If I wasn't a nurse I don't know what would have happened when I suddenly became a single mother.

That is one of the things I always point out. If I wasn't a nurse I don't know what would have happened when I suddenly became a single mother.

Exactly, my grandfather died in the early 60's and my grandmother was able to go back to work BECAUSE she had worked before they were married and had the skills to do office work.

Archived