IGNORED

Little House series: book vs reality

YPestis

Well, she's no longer in the land of all things maple although she will see a lot of snow this winter as she moved to Connecticut. The combination of her boyfriend being from the Nutmeg State and the batshit crazy politics of SC were too much for her to move back South. She likes the weather in New England better too.

I will have to remind her about the yellow snow though. Her BF's family has a dog.

Could you catch the following snow in a container? My grandmother used to make snowcream but she didn't gather the snow from the ground.

Could you catch the following snow in a container? My grandmother used to make snowcream but she didn't gather the snow from the ground.

We just got approximately 2 feet of snow in under 24 hours. I'm going to hazard a guess that it would be pretty safe to eat that?

As for making maple snow candy, I was also thinking that placing a large metal bowl or stock pot on top of something in an open space would be a good way to keep the snow somewhat pure. Although you still might have to deal with a bird flying overhead and making a deposit, and in my area, the influence of wood smoke on the taste.

There were lots of sugar houses that had sugar on snow along with other events (maple candy, syrup tastings, etc) when the sap was running.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/2/2012 at 6:15 PM, Markie said:

Did anyone else watch, Pioneer Quest - a Canadian frontier reality show? Two couples built up a homestead and had to survive in the Manitoba frontier for a year. They couples ended up not really liking each other by the year's end.

This is on Amazon Prime right now, so I'm binge watching it. The older woman was talking about how her religion teaches wifely submission, but they just seem really religious, rather than fundie.

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2012 at 0:22 PM, lilah said:

Nellie Olsen was a composite character of three girls that Laura didn't like. Most of their desecendents don't like how she was potrayed.

I haven't finished reading this entire thread yet, so forgive me if someone has already asked this question. 

I knew that Nellie was a composite of 3 characters, but I have never been able to find out any more information about her. Where did you read about their descendants being unhappy? I would love to read more about it. 

On 9/1/2012 at 2:42 PM, pixydust said:

Why not just expand Carrie in the show and make her more interesting, give her more shows, etc?

The twins who played Carrie were awful actresses. I think adding Albert was a way of firing the twins without actually firing them. They just shoved her to the back of every episode and added a new character. 

I think instead they should have recast Carrie. 

• Upvote 4

On 11/16/2013 at 2:21 PM, debrand said:

thehairpin.com/2013/07/farmers-bo

The link above is to someone's post listing every meal eaten in Farmer Boy

OMG OMG.  Nom Nom for sure.  

Manzo clearly came from money.  I have read about so many other families in the same time period that had so little.

Or, this Food Network inspired writing from her was just her hungry wish list.

I would have loved to had a seat at his mom's table, that is for sure  :)

• Upvote 1

Tidbit about the Wilder family (extended) that I learned in a class called Persepctives on the world mission movement.

Almanzo had cousins (children of his Uncle Royal - not to be confused with his brother Royal) - Robert and Grace Wilder, who were integral in what is called the Studen Volunteer Mission Movement.  Uncle Royal Wilder was also a missionary.  Almanzo likely never met the uncle or cousins because they were born in India. (which gives me a clue that the greater Wilder family probably indeed had money)

I may have come close to spraining my eyes during an eye roll when the instructor that night referred to them as Laura Ingalls Wilder's niece and nephew (a - Almanzo not Laura and b - wrong generation)

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jeongbae/files/Research/svm.pdf

http://www.thetravelingteam.org/articles/grace-wilder

http://www.thetravelingteam.org/articles/robert-wilder

• Thank You 1

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 4:58 PM, RoseWilder said:

I haven't finished reading this entire thread yet, so forgive me if someone has already asked this question. 

I knew that Nellie was a composite of 3 characters, but I have never been able to find out any more information about her. Where did you read about their descendants being unhappy? I would love to read more about it. 

I got to take a trip to several of the Little House sites last summer. Here's some of the info I remember from the museums and from some of the books about Laura:

Nellie Oleson in the books was a composite of Nellie Owens, Genevive Masters, and Stella Gilbert. The real Nellie's family were shopkeepers in Walnut Grove, MN. Nellie later married a very handsome man (there are pictures at the Walnut Grove museum) and moved to Oregon, where she lived a long life. Genevieve came from NY (I think) and was very wealthy. Apparently she and Laura really despised each other. Her family lived near the Ingalls in DeSmet, SD (the Little Town on The Prairie). Stella's family also lived in DeSmet. She was a rival for Almanzo's affections.

A side note, the real Willie, Nellie Owens' brother, lost the sight in one eye while playing with firecrackers in Walnut Grove. He moved to Oregon as a young adult and lost the sight in his remaining eye when a twig struck the eye while he was mowing the grass at the Oregon Blind Trade School.

The book, "Laura" by Donald Zochart, is very interesting. Also, "Pioneer Girl" is so interesting and informative, but it isn't a quick read.

• Upvote 4

On 10/1/2012 at 2:08 PM, Loveday said:

Looks like we might be getting a feature film version of Little House on the Prairie soon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=95359 (not breaking the link as it's just an entertainment news site)

Not sure how I feel about this. If they do it right--get the right cast, do their historical research and then USE it, and STICK TO THE STORYLINE, then I'm all in. :clap: If not...er, no. :hand:

It sounds as if that movie is just going to cover what's in the books. I wish someone would do a movie or miniseries that covered her whole life because the most interesting thing about her life (to me anyway) is that she was part of the last generation to grow up on the prairie. Anyone who lives to be 90 is going to witness a lot of history in their lifetime but I don't think any generation witness as much change as Laura's generation. She was born in a time period of covered wagons and no electricity and by the time she died there was electricity, indoor plumbing, phones, radios, TV, cars, airplanes. She grew up traveling in a covered wagon and ended up traveling by airplane to visit her daughter. She witnessed so much in her lifetime. 

• Upvote 7

I got to take a trip to several of the Little House sites last summer. Here's some of the info I remember from the museums and from some of the books about Laura:

Nellie Oleson in the books was a composite of Nellie Owens, Genevive Masters, and Stella Gilbert. The real Nellie's family were shopkeepers in Walnut Grove, MN. Nellie later married a very handsome man (there are pictures at the Walnut Grove museum) and moved to Oregon, where she lived a long life. Genevieve came from NY (I think) and was very wealthy. Apparently she and Laura really despised each other. Her family lived near the Ingalls in DeSmet, SD (the Little Town on The Prairie). Stella's family also lived in DeSmet. She was a rival for Almanzo's affections.

A side note, the real Willie, Nellie Owens' brother, lost the sight in one eye while playing with firecrackers in Walnut Grove. He moved to Oregon as a young adult and lost the sight in his remaining eye when a twig struck the eye while he was mowing the grass at the Oregon Blind Trade School.

The book, "Laura" by Donald Zochart, is very interesting. Also, "Pioneer Girl" is so interesting and informative, but it isn't a quick read.

Wow. That's some bad luck

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 9/5/2012 at 12:43 PM, hoipolloi said:

Holy Toledo! Just reading the Miller book (Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder), and he says that there were three (3) additional people living with the Ingalls family throughout the Long Winter, whom the family invited to stay with them when they were stranded in DeSmet after the continuous snow storms began. :o

They were George Masters, his wife Maggie & infant child. Apparently, the wife was quite nice but George was an asshole - sullen, lazy, complaining & gobbling up as much food as he could when it was on the table. LIW chose not to include any of this in the novel.

I must say that this puts a different complexion on Pa's little escape & square meal with the Wilder boys - I wonder that Pa didn't deck Masters or order him at rifle-point to shape out or get kicked out.

I know this is from years ago, but if anyone is still reading here, the Pioneer Girl book that came out a few years ago is really interesting.  There are stories in in that were not suitable for children's books, including the story of George and Maggie Masters.  Maggie was young, and they liked her, but Ma let them stay because she saw that Maggie was going to have a baby far too soon after they got married.  His family wouldn't take them in, and she wouldn't disgrace her family by going to them.   And yes, George was a piece of work!

• Upvote 5

I read Pioneer Girl.  It was more interesting and realistic than the LH book series and WAY better than the TV series.

We should have a forum just for Little House fans.  What do you think mods?

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I read Pioneer Girl.  It was more interesting and realistic than the LH book series and WAY better than the TV series.

We should have a forum just for Little House fans.  What do you think mods?

I'll make one tonight if you guys want one.  Be warned, though...I too am armed with a love of LHOTP and Pioneer Girl!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll make one tonight if you guys want one.  Be warned, though...I too am armed with a love of LHOTP and Pioneer Girl!

If its not too much trouble go for it!  I thank you.

• Upvote 2

I had a business dinner last night and got home past my bedtime.  Attempting this now, let's see if I remember how to do this!

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2012 at 9:05 AM, freejoytoo said:

Remember Ma's button lamp in The Long Winter? I used to read that one avidly. I was kind of horrified and fantasised at the same time. I don't think the threat of their starving really hit me at the time but I remember finding it exciting.

I remember that.  Also her making mock apple pie out of unripe pumpkins and Pa thinking it was just like the real thing.  As a kid I thought she was a culinary genius.

As an adult with a fair bit of experience baking I now know it was desperation and Pa selling it to the kids in a mind over matter thing.

• Upvote 6

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2012 at 1:57 AM, hoipolloi said:

Thanks for all the links, guys, & book suggestions.

One other thing that really got me about Pa Ingalls, 40+ years ago and now, is the chapter in The Long Winter where Pa goes over to the Wilder brothers' place to get wheat, and ends up sitting down to eat a huge pancakes-and-ham breakfast while his family is at home starving, with Ma figuring out how to stretch their last few potatoes.

That bothered me so much when I read that as a child, as I couldn't imagine either of my parents eating more than basic sustenance if we were hungry.  

When I read it as a parent …..it's absolutely unconscionable.  

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I posted the first topic.  Anyone can join and you don't need to wait for approval.

I'm not able to join.  Thanks for setting it up.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I remember that.  Also her making mock apple pie out of unripe pumpkins and Pa thinking it was just like the real thing.  As a kid I thought she was a culinary genius.

As an adult with a fair bit of experience baking I now know it was desperation and Pa selling it to the kids in a mind over matter thing.

I made this as a teen and it did taste just like apple pie. No mind over matter needed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, snickerz said:

I made this as a teen and it did taste just like apple pie. No mind over matter needed. 

Now I'm curious.