IGNORED

Abby and Brittany Hensel Reality Show premiering MERGED

Mela99

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 43,00.html

The cute conjoined identical twins from the occasional Discovery channel special and the cover of Life magazine now get a reality show.

I think it's interesting because they never liked the public spotlight before. Now they're done with college and are going to Europe and are taking TLC with them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for them! If I could get TLC to bankroll a trip to Europe for me, I'd be all over that. Sadly, I'm not interesting enough to tape.

I'll give this one a try. I remember watching the specials and they were pretty interesting. It's hard to believe they are about to graduate from college...time sure has gone by.

The topic title surprised me, because they were notable for having so much public interest yet staying out of the spotlight so much. Looks like their parents really respected their privacy and their childhoods and now they are free to choose this. Good for them.

I really enjoyed their sixteenth birthday special. I've always been interested in them because they're teh same age as me. I think they've been of public interest for so long that they'll know enough to stop before they're too exploited. Getting a tv show to pay for a trip to Europe is a good plan to me.

I do think of worry about Abby and Brittany being involved again with TLC/Discovery. But in a way, I think their show will be more interesting than 19kac or United Bates. I kind of hope A&B's show does well and it might piss off the Duggar leg humpers.

I do think of worry about Abby and Brittany being involved again with TLC/Discovery. But in a way, I think their show will be more interesting than 19kac or United Bates. I kind of hope A&B's show does well and it might piss off the Duggar leg humpers.

BACK UP. they're one entity? I'm going to cry.

TLC has this way of turning everything into a freak show. I'm not sure if they are going to create understanding and educate people on Abby and Brittany's life or make them into the modern day equivalent of a side show?

I am afraid that they'll ask them questions about sex and dating and other things that are generally personal and private and cause pain in these young women's lives. I also think that they'll treat them like they are a two headed person and not two distinct people.

On the other hand I think that supporting themselves must not be easy for Abby and Brittany and if they can find a way to make enough money off of TLC to live comfortably then I wish them the best. I do find it odd because their mother was very much against too much publicity or putting them on display. Then again they are old enough to decide for themselves now.

I do admire them. They seem so happy and joyful despite being in a situation that I think most of us would find unbearable. I, for one, would honestly prefer to be in a wheel chair and still live somewhat independently rather than be mobile and never alone or able to decide things just for myself. It takes courage for them to not fall into a depression or feel sorry for themselves constantly.

BACK UP. they're one entity? I'm going to cry.

TLC is owned by Discovery. Reruns of TLC shows air on some of the other Discovery channel channels. Discovery Fit&Health has been airing reruns of 19kac, Little People, Big World etc.

Yes! I'm much more interested in this show than "A dollah makes me hollah honey boo boo child you bettah redneckonizeeeeee!"

TLC has this way of turning everything into a freak show. I'm not sure if they are going to create understanding and educate people on Abby and Brittany's life or make them into the modern day equivalent of a side show?

I am afraid that they'll ask them questions about sex and dating and other things that are generally personal and private and cause pain in these young women's lives. I also think that they'll treat them like they are a two headed person and not two distinct people.

On the other hand I think that supporting themselves must not be easy for Abby and Brittany and if they can find a way to make enough money off of TLC to live comfortably then I wish them the best. I do find it odd because their mother was very much against too much publicity or putting them on display. Then again they are old enough to decide for themselves now.

I do admire them. They seem so happy and joyful despite being in a situation that I think most of us would find unbearable. I, for one, would honestly prefer to be in a wheel chair and still live somewhat independently rather than be mobile and never alone or able to decide things just for myself. It takes courage for them to not fall into a depression or feel sorry for themselves constantly.

Those reasons are I why worry for the girls being involved with TLC. I agree it probably isn't easy for them support themselves. Maybe TLC approached them to do an update documentary. The last TLC/Discovery documentary about them was made in 2006, TLC could have approached them and then maybe after pitched an a reality show idea to them.

TLC is owned by Discovery. Reruns of TLC shows air on some of the other Discovery channel channels. Discovery Fit&Health has been airing reruns of 19kac, Little People, Big World etc.

I'm heartbroken. Discovery Channel was my childhood! I didn't want them to own the crazy fundie channel.

I'm heartbroken. Discovery Channel was my childhood! I didn't want them to own the crazy fundie channel.

TLC wasn't always owned by Discovery. I believe Discovery bought TLC sometime in the 90s. TLC for a long time aired mostly documentaries related to science, history, some supernatural or UFO related documentaries. I remember in the late 90s TLC used to have "UFO week". Eventually TLC ended up in the reality show business like A&E.

TLC is also going to start showing a show about teen moms going to high school. Wonder how the duggars feel about that?

Im looking forward to awtching some of this and the new show "big tiny" coming out

I watched a documentary on those two. There is pretty much no way most people will accept them as "normal," even though they seemed like most other girls to me – albeit they had to learn cooperation a lot earlier than most people, and more thoroughly as well.

The way I see it, Abby and Brittany will make millions merely by putting up with a more focused version of the crap they already endure. I can understand why they agreed to do it. It will also open doors for them that would otherwise be closed – travel opportunities, educational opportunities, internships.

TLC is also going to start showing a show about teen moms going to high school. Wonder how the duggars feel about that?

Im looking forward to awtching some of this and the new show "big tiny" coming out

I think they are going to do show where mother and daughter are both pregnant something the duggers and bates can relate to.

Those reasons are I why worry for the girls being involved with TLC. I agree it probably isn't easy for them support themselves. Maybe TLC approached them to do an update documentary. The last TLC/Discovery documentary about them was made in 2006, TLC could have approached them and then maybe after pitched an a reality show idea to them.

Yeah, I have these same concerns too.

I also worry that they seemed so much like any other girls in the previous documentary, and I would hate for them to become jaded by the whole reality show process ala Kate G and so many others.

I'll look for videos of this - I learned of them from LIFE magazine in 1996 (bought the issue and still have it) and googled them every so often over the years, found some clips and interviews. I'm just amazed they're 22, what, where does the time go???

I think it's only natural for people to have certain questions about them (yep, including "what happens if/when you get married") that they maybe realize that it saves some time for them to do an interview and answer some common stuff, just so people who are curious CAN just be told to go read the book (if they wrote a book, I'd be interested). If they do a serious show, it might end up being quite good. I don't watch "reality TV" really but have heard horror stories so yeah I hope it doesn't get too out there and "hey hey! Let's see what craaaazy situation we can put them in this week!!! Let's give them an evil roommate and watch the fighting!"

Hm. Maybe just another regular documentary would be better, but hey - we'll see I guess. As long as it's their choice.

Now I'm wondering what they majored in. Time to go google again... the legal issues are definitely interesting too (they've talked about it when they got their drivers' licenses, a bit). I mean, there's tons of regular ol' desk jobs they could do behind the scenes where staring would eventually be a non-problem, but probably some employers would be wondering if they should be paid as one, or two... legally they're two people but can they do twice the work, if they cooperate to type as one pair of hands? etc. But of course it's two brains doing the coding/design/writing/whatever. Plus health benefits, they share one body, so presumably it's one payment for a visit? That kinda thing is interesting.

I watched a documentary on those two. There is pretty much no way most people will accept them as "normal," even though they seemed like most other girls to me – albeit they had to learn cooperation a lot earlier than most people, and more thoroughly as well.

The way I see it, Abby and Brittany will make millions merely by putting up with a more focused version of the crap they already endure. I can understand why they agreed to do it. It will also open doors for them that would otherwise be closed – travel opportunities, educational opportunities, internships.

Yeah, that's my take on it. There's no way they don't get stares and worse everywhere they go, and it's going to be tough for them to find a job (jobs?). There are a lot of things in life that they've said they want to do but they because they're conjoined - they've said before that they want to marry and have children, but I really doubt it would happen. They might as well try to make some money from the situation.

Their parents very carefully protected them from the media when they were minors, and probably for very good reason. They agreed to media exposure in only a limited way and I'm sure in a manner of their choosing. I saw the earlier documentaries on these girls (I think there were two, one when they were just starting school and another when they were learning to drive). The Hensels seem like decent, bright young women who can decide for themselves if they want to be on TV.

As for TLC, they've been owned by Discovery since the mid-90s. They used to run what seemed like non-stop episodes of "A Wedding Story", "A Baby Story", "Bringing Home Baby", and "Trading Spaces" - they wanted to appeal to housewives. That all really started to change with Jon & Kate and the Rolofs. My coworkers and I were just recently discussing the fact that TLC has become the trailer park trash of what used to be a decent channel lineup, and there hasn't been any real educational programming on TLC in years. It used to be that the History Channel was the one you watched for cheesy documentaries about Nazis and/or aliens, but now TLC is an utter trainwreck between the Duggars, toddler pageants, insane couponers, and "gypsy" weddings.

I do dig the Science Channel (owned by Discovery) along with a few Discovery Channel shows. I admit I'm a sucker for the gypsy wedding show, though. :oops:

Oh interesting, I was googling those guys just last week to see if there were any updates. I noticed they had been out of the public eye for years, and they claimed they'd make a few documentaries because people were interested. I'm a bit disappointed to hear it's a whole "reality show". I hope it is very well done. They have said before they don't like attention, and you can believe it because of how little you hear about them. Still, they've probably realised it's a financially good decision.

I have seen their earlier documentaries and they come across very well. Cool they are both graduating college now. I wonder what they will do with respect to jobs - maybe this is their way of passing the time until they decide.

Maybe the reality show is because they're having a hell of a time finding a "regular" job.

I saw a documentary on them a few years back- I wish them well, I'd lose my damn mind if I was that close to my sister (her and i have a love/hate relationship). Holy cats.

Archived