IGNORED

Are the Maxwells Gothardites?

Mommy22alyns

I think they're Steve-ites. Has anyone ever seen them mention Gothard on their site? I haven't--but maybe some of us have more info.

I recall reading that they started out as Gothardites, but I guess it wasn't conservative or isolationist enough for Steve-o.

ATI and Gothard are way too worldly for Stevie. They have youth and kid activities at their conferences which anything fun is a big no no in Stevie's book.

They've mentioned Wisdom Booklets in a post on homeschooling long, long ago on one of their forums. Another thread here mentioned it, you might be able to search it out.

As far as I know though they're not explicitly Gothardite now. As other said Steve-O is the one and only. I can imagine him having found some of Gothard's materials to be "suitably godly enough, I suppose, maybe" in the past though, so perhaps that's why they used the Wisdom Booklets.

Edit to add: Recalling more of it now. The discussion was about a guide on modesty, in the post where Steve-O mentions a field trip to a local airport to allow the children to gawk at the slutty clothing of all the heathens. Someone then recognized that as a activity from one of the booklets too.

Which is why the girls we'll have it slightly better if they manage to marry-they can only have it easier cause the Maxwell's are just about as uptight as you can get.They pretty much only have ATI boys to pick.

I think the Maxwells are too isolated to follow outsiders. Many of their most crazy beliefs are kind of uniquely Maxwell (no friends for kids, avoid children's activities etc). Plus, most belief systems would still encourage interactions between their followers---i.e Gothardites are still encouraged to socialize with fellow Gothardites. The Maxwells believe any interaction between their children and outsiders must be chaperoned to prevent contamination or avoided at all cost if chaperoning is not possible. Teri and Steve wrote that they will not even allow their children to be alone with non-family members until they are in mid-teens. I don't know of any organization, short of family cults, which finds it dangerous for children to play with each other without a parent literally standing over them.

I usually think of them as being closest to a Non-Reformed, Vision Forum NCFIC fundie minus the "fun" of Vision Forum activities and excursions. It's a sick world when I refer to VF as "fun," but compared to the lives of the Maxwell family, VF seems like FunLand. I know that Cristopher Maxwell has taken the wedding photos for quite a few of the VF crowd. And I seem to remember that back in the day, they were Gothardites, but Steve-O and him had some falling out.

I would say that they are very close to a Non-Reformed version of the Botkin family. They both have oppressive overlord fathers, mothers who disappear in the background, daughters who are responsible for much of the family "business," daughters who should be married but can't because their father needs them at home, and many sons both younger and older who are married with kids. And each of the families have their own unique religious dogma that doesn't quite fit in with one particular group.

Definitely Steve-ites. They may borrow a bit from Gothard, Vision Forum and other fundie groups, but they're too isolated to really belong to anything but the church of Steve. They're making up their own belief system with Steve at the centre, adding a bit of death worship, elimination of fun and extreme isolation in there, none of which has any biblical basis (or even pretend biblical justification.)

I've always wondered what the Maxwells will do when Steve dies. How will every aspect of their lives be controlled then? I'm hoping it happens before Mary is married off so she at least is young enough to become a little more normal. I'd even settle for being allowed to have fun, which would be a big step up for them.

I think in the beginning they used any available conservative Christian homeschooling resources, including ATI and VF, and that they have retained contacts in those circles to pimp their products and conferences, to provide a customer base for their sons businesses, and to find wives for their sons.

But I'm sure Steve sees the other groups as frivolous and worldly.

I think in the beginning they used any available conservative Christian homeschooling resources, including ATI and VF, and that they have retained contacts in those circles to pimp their products and conferences, to provide a customer base for their sons businesses, and to find wives for their sons.

But I'm sure Steve sees the other groups as frivolous and worldly.

The Maxwells started homeschooling in the mid-1980s. It was illegal in many states and resources were hard to find. One of the major Christian textbook publishers (IIRC it was Abeka, but I can't be sure) refused to sell to homeschoolers for years because they were afraid homeschooling would put Christian schools out of business-- and in many cases, it has. I know Gothard was around back then, but I'm not sure about Vision Forum. I haven't done much homework on that particular subject.

The Maxwells started homeschooling in the mid-1980s. It was illegal in many states and resources were hard to find. One of the major Christian textbook publishers (IIRC it was Abeka, but I can't be sure) refused to sell to homeschoolers for years because they were afraid homeschooling would put Christian schools out of business-- and in many cases, it has. I know Gothard was around back then, but I'm not sure about Vision Forum. I haven't done much homework on that particular subject.

Yes, I think they and the Pearls have both said that they started producing their materials because there was a lack of proper christian material on the market and people were begging to know how they did it.

But thats why I think they used whatever was available in the beginning, including ATI. Im pretty sure youre right about VF, i dont think theybappeared til the 90, although its very possible they knew Dougie through his work with the Homeschool Legal Defense people. I have also seen mention of the using early Rod and Staff materials. Then as they refined their own brand of crazy they kept the contacts through their conferences and "ministry".

Definitely steve-ites. If they do follow Gothard, they might just use the Wisdom booklets but that's it. I don't recall ever reading posts of them attending a homeschool conference. Steve discourages friendship outside of the family, so I highly doubt they would follow any certain group. The Maxwells are their own level of crazy. It amazes me how some of these women are willing to accept that and marry into it.

I agree. The Gothard cult elevates a person above Steve. Can't have that.

To paraphrase Someone Else: "You shall not worship them or serve them buy their homeschooling products; for I, the LORD Steve your God, am a jealous God."

[Original at Exodus 20:4-5]

Which is why the girls we'll have it slightly better if they manage to marry-they can only have it easier cause the Maxwell's are just about as uptight as you can get.They pretty much only have ATI boys to pick.

Unless they hook up with a certain Beasley boy, but I understand God's found him another victim already. I'd say their only possibility for a decent escape will happen after Stevie & his helper pass away. By then of course, it'll be too late anyway. ARgh!

To paraphrase Someone Else: "You shall not worship them or serve them buy their homeschooling products; for I, the LORD Steve your God, am a jealous God."

[Original at Exodus 20:4-5]

Oh, that's good! :lol:

The Maxwells probably maintains contacts with VF and other right wing religious organizations. As others pointed out, they started homeschooling at a time when it wasn't very popular and probably used what was available. Later, they started gravitating away outsiders but probably participates in conferences and such to pimp their own products and network for their businesses.

Archived